Chapter 2

That annoying bell rings again.
Oh, there's another customer. I hurriedly place my glass on the counter and get in position to bow.

«Welco-»

I could never forget that face. I was familiar with every detail of that sunburnt complexion.

I still recall the first time we met each other as if it was yesterday.

I was resting my bare brawny arms on the small gate of my excessive soundless house.

My 9-years-old self would waste its time staring with unseeing eyes at the desiccated grass lying down just a few centimetres away from my light blue trainers.

Then it happened. It was unexpected, but it was all I've been waiting for since I had moved here.

Goose pimples were swiftly decorating the skin dressing my not fully developed upper limbs.

My eyes enlarged and my pupils started focusing again.

And what a sight it was.

The sun. The sunlight was embracing me in its warmth. I had never felt that way before.

Even when my mum would hug me tight and whisper in my ears that she loved me, it all seemed a fabrication to me.

But this. The boy standing in front of me wearing those threadbare, shabby clothes and a naïve smile...this has never felt so right.

He was my sun. Kim Taehyung was the spark lighting up the darkness of my heart.

A boxy smile extending to his cheekbones and crazy red hair. Yeah, that's my best friend.

Maybe "soulmate" would be a more rightful title to define the unshakable bond we share.

«Oh, it's you» I immediately return to a standing upright posture. Why would I bow to him?

This rascal...

«Is that how you greet your costumers, Jimin-ah? The disrespect!» He's a drama queen, I swear.

And what's up with that position? A hand is tightly squeezing the fabric of his purple sweatshirt just above his heart and with the other hand, he's covering his mouth.

Wait, are those sobs? Oh, come on!

«Yah, Taehyung, leave your acting tactics for your movies. Even the dumbest person on this earth wouldn't be fooled by those fake weeping sounds!»

I walk back behind the counter and as I'm about to drink my juice again, thin but still muscular arms enclose me from behind.

If it wasn't for that well-known chamomile fragrance, an embarrassing shriek would've already left my pouty lips.

«And that's why I tried it out with you my dear friend»
What is he talking about? Wait...

«I'm not the dumbest person on earth! Get off my back!»
I tried to make him release me, but after he met that Jungkook guy he's been working out more often and it's not so easy.

I got a plan.

I stay completely still and utter my next words with a menacing tone: «Should I call Jungkook and tell him that you didn't behave?»

Just as I had predicted I'm released from his octopus clutches. Finally!

«No, Jimin. I'm sorry, please don't tell Jungkookie. I beg you. I'm a good boy, I swear»

I find incredulously funny that Tae is so scared of his boyfriend. Is there some unknown reason behind his pleading expression? Do I really want to know it?

A buried memory of the two boys doing nasty things comes to my mind. Yeah, I'm completely sure that I'd rather not be aware of the cause of my best friend's terrified face.

«Yeah, you're a good boy. So, I'll keep quiet for this time»

A relieved sigh left Taehyung rosy lips. I love teasing him.

«I'm gonna grab some candies»
I nod with my head as he starts walking towards the shelves looking for his gummy bears.

I stare at his retreating back and a chuckle escapes my lips as I'm reminded once again that I'm so grateful to have him in my life.

He ignites my days anew with such brilliance and maybe, just for a while, I let myself believe that my tentative fingertips got the deserving right to brush those brilliant hot oranges and reds.

But too soon, my bony, quivering hand was getting scorched by the long rays.

It burns.

«Jimin. Hey Jimin!» I raise my gaze suddenly as I'm brought back to my tapered ineluctable reality.

Mr Lee? When did he get here? I didn't even notice he was standing in front of me.

I keep losing focus lately. What's wrong with me?

«My deepest apologies Mr Lee. I was distracted»
I humbly bow down as I'm mentally scolding my hopelessly imaginative mind.

I let Mr Lee pay for his purchases and wish him a joyous weekend as he exits the store.

I stare at my hand remembering the heat that was torching it just some minutes before. It was gone yet again.

I can't look at it any longer. I clench my hand into a furious fist as I let my head fall loosely.

I can feel my pointy nails slowly breaking my hard skin, but in response, I squeeze it with more strength.