Chapter 5

I smile to myself and start driving towards my unknown destination.
New life, here I come!

I've been driving for some hours and I'm starting to get tired.
I'm probably going to stop in the next town for the night to rest for a while.
The sun is rising, colouring the sky with shades of orange and magenta. It's the start of a brand-new day.

I smile to myself. I'm doing it, ah? I'm starting anew.
Just thinking about it makes me feel thrilled.

*Time skip*
I park "my" car. I'm in Daegu. It's so hot here. I fan myself using my hands, but the heat is terrible.
I can't stand it. I should leave soon.

I get out of the vehicle to stretch a little since I've been sitting in the same position for a long time.
I can't feel my legs. A yawn escapes my lips.
I head towards the supermarket to buy some food and something to drink.
As soon as I enter, nostalgia hits me. The cashier greets me, just like I used to welcome the clients back in Busan.
A small chuckle leaves my lips: the roles are reversed now.
I wonder if the owner has already found a substitute for me. She probably did.

I put my purchases inside the shopping basket and as I take out my money to pay, I notice some gummy bears.
Taehyung... I miss him already. Needless to say, I buy a packet of those teeth-rotting candies.
I wave goodbye to the workers and head out.
The rain is quickly drenching my clothes. It is cooling on this warm day.
The soil is soon wet, and the droplets are being absorbed by the black, dirty asphalt.

I don't have an umbrella. Ugh, never mind.
As I'm running towards my car, I hear some groans coming from a nearby alley.
I direct myself towards the noises. It feels as if the houses have been pushed closer together. Vines are crawling up the windows. Litter is dumped on the ground. The smell is awful.
I cover my nose with my sleeve as I explore the narrow street even more. And that's when I see it.

From behind the rubbish, containers appear two half-closed eyes inspecting me cautiously. There is something in that gaze that has me completely captivated.
I've always been aware of strangers, but this boy... he has something different.
He is squinting at me through hardened eyes, but their stunning, dark brown hold the truth that his face was trying to hide. The despairing chill that they convey makes my heart ache.
However, what leaves me completely astonished is the overwhelming strength swimming in those orbs.

«Hey, are you okay?» I crunch down a little so that I can be at eye level with him.
He scoffs and looks away. «Never better»
Is he serious? What kind of behaviour is that?
I smirk to myself, two can play this game.

«Oh, I see. I heard some groans coming from here and I thought that someone might need help. But I was wrong, I found a grumpy alley cat instead.»
I purposely stare at him and even point my finger at him. Yes, a grumpy alley cat. That's a perfect name to define him.
«Sorry, what?! Did you just call me "a grumpy alley cat"?! Damn brat. Just be gone»
«OK» and after saying that I start walking away.

1...2...3...4...
«Wait»
A barely audible pleading word reaches my ears. Well, that was easier than I thought.
«Did you say something?»
I turn my face towards him, but I still don't move an inch.
For a while all that can be heard are the raindrops hitting every surface they come across.
I can feel each splash that touches my skin.

«Wait. Help me, please»
That face. He has his droopy eyes cast down, a clenched jaw and his thick eyebrows are furrowed.
He looks like a wet, angry kitty. He's so cute. Jimin, stop!

I let my lips curve upwards and my eyes close.
«With pleasure»
I walk back in his direction and help him to stand straight. He's struggling and keeping a hand on his stomach. Who did this to him? I've known the guy for not even ten minutes and I'm feeling attached to him already. I'm furious.
However, now is not the time to question him, he needs to be taken care of first.

I grab his arm gently and place it on my shoulder. He's a little too skinny for my taste, and he's trembling a little.
My heart is aching. It's as if a hand was squeezing it tight, leaving me unable to breathe.
His skin is pale and cold. How long has he been there?
«Thank you»
He's staring straight into my eyes while saying it. Oh, god. Please, don't look at me like that.
I seriously hope to not be blushing. It would be so embarrassing!!

«D-don't mention it»
Good job, Jimin. I mentally facepalm.
The weight of his body is starting to fall completely on me, and he's breathing hard. He's exhausted.

«Hold on for just a little more. The car is right there»
I truly regret not having found a nearer parking lot.
I plead whoever to make time pass faster, but those four meters separating our bodies from the vehicle seem infinite. I could see a hay ball rolling on the asphalt.
Okay, I'm exaggerating, but that's how it feels like for me.
When my hand finally grabs the handle of the car door I yell "hallelujah".
It was about time!

I help him sit on the black leather seat and soon after his eyes close. I immediately start panicking.
«Hey, hey. Wake up»
I tap his soft but wet and cold cheek a few times and I get some grumbles in response.
I sigh in relief: he's still conscious.
He opens his eyes a little and stares at me once again and I hold his gaze.
He's drawing me in. I'm lost in those cat eyes.

«What's your name?»
He's analysing my face in detail. His eyes would rest on a specific part of my visage just to focus on another soon after.
It is torture and a blessing at the same time. I can't guess his intentions.
My hand is still resting on his cheek, but I don't even notice. I'm so deep in trance to be unable to think of anything else.
He has that kind of eyes that you forget even while looking at them...

«Park Jimin»
I find my voice again and I grimace at how weak it sounds.
«Jimin»

His gaze is fixed on my lips now and I swallow unconsciously.
«I'm Min Yoongi»
Wait, he smirked. Oh, god. He fucking smirked. Wasn't he about to faint just some minutes ago?!
I'm going crazy. This damned Lil meow meow!