Chapter 64: Dakota

Friday afternoon I complete my workout and a couple of errands. Torrun presents her passport and pays for three different trips all leaving next Friday afternoon. Since Friday was the first day, I didn't have to report in during a week I thought it would be best cause no one would look for me Friday or Saturday the first time an alarm would be raised would be Sunday night when I didn't check in. And by then I'd be on my way. I even chose flights that were around the same time so that I could decide when I got there where I was going. Pretty sure I am headed west, Hawaii sounds nice.

Friday evening, I spend working on Hernandez's flashcards and I watch the entire Die Hard series. Putting myself on house arrest.

I had a shitty night of sleep. Waking early Saturday morning I run to the jetty and then the Pier twice. Then shower and fall back asleep. This sleeping during the day thing was really working for me. When I wake again it's nearly four. I lay in bed for several minutes debating whether or not it's worth getting up to go to the Commons and get lunch.

Right now, no one is around, which meant no football team and no cheer squad and therefore less haters. Less haters I could get behind. I could make a few sandwiches for dinner and maybe grab a bag of chips and some extra waters. Kinda stock up that way I wouldn't have to leave again tonight.

I dress and arm myself braiding my hair back so I can hide it in my hoodie. I stroll over to the Commons keeping an eye on things around me. I make a salad to go and grab some Thousand Island salad dressing. I'm in the midst of assembling my sandwiches when I see Mason Templar come into the Commons. I decide I don't need jelly on the second sandwich nab chips and two waters. I'm almost done checking out when Templar clears his throat behind me.

I turn and give him a nod, "Templar."

"Madison." Want. To. Smack. Him. He looks at the bag and then at me. "Picnic?"

"No."

"Vacation?"

"No."

"Why the bag?"

None of your fucking business. Fuck. Gotta keep this asshole happy. "Snacks for studying." I explain in as few syllables as possible. "Later." I turn to face him and give him the steps he deserves as The Sun he doesn't look happy about it; but fuck him I'm not going to be played. He's going to know, I know, he's used me. Betrayed me and his oath.

He leaves his food at the checkout and follows me. "I thought we had gotten over this formal shit."

"Manners?" I shake my head. "No, I don't think so."

"Give me a fucking clue."

"I've done everything you've asked Templar. I went to that damn reception. I've told Hernandez where I'm going. I've kept myself on campus, like you both requested." Okay that last one was a bit of stretch, was the High Street campus? "So, I don't see what your problem is, I'm being respectful and I'm being...what was the word you used...flexible." Templar's hazel eyes were full of confusion. Ha! I win. "Right then, back to Hayes Hall."

"Let me walk you."

I turn around I had already given him respect, "Do what you want."

"We both know I can't do that." Templar said falling into step with me. "Tell me about Nina Hayes."

"I don't know anything except for what she spews from her mouth." I tell him as we cross the Quad.

Templar chuckled, "You think Maya supplies her?"

"Possible, Maya spoke with a lot of different people at the Rave."

"You're pretty cautious before you pull the trigger on something."

"Lives hung in the balance when I made a decision."

"Not literally."

"If a bartender lost hours or their job...their children's lives hung in the balance Templar. Their wife or partners lives also hung in the balance. How much money you bring home equals your rent, your food, money for electricity, for fucking crayons." Idiot!

Templar clears his throat again, "I didn't think about that." He whispers.

"Of course, you don't. Why would you?" I reach for the door to open it.

"Hey...wait." I drop my hand from the door. We are in front of Hayes Hall, if he wants to pull an exchange right now it's possible. There aren't a lot of people around and with my current rep no one would help me. He watches me for a moment and then looks around as well, "What's wrong?"

"What is it you want Templar?"

"Just..." he looks around again, "you're alright, right?"

The fuck? No, I am not alright. "I'm fine." Haven't been fine for a long ass time, but that ain't none of his business. He already thinks I'm weak.

"No one's been bothering you? Marcus and Vance they leaving you alone, right? No emails or anything?"

"I'm cool." I actually hadn't seen any emails.

"I know it hasn't been easy Madison. I know you've dealt with a lot of shit...really fucked up shit...but you need something you can ask me to help or ask Hernandez, alright?"

"I'm not going into debt to you." Just so we are clear.

"Fuck, life isn't favor and debt Madison...sometimes people just do shit cause it's the right fucking thing to do."

I can't believe he's feeding me this line of bullshit. But he needs me to flexible, and I need him to believe I'm in his good little asset so that I'm not found out before Friday. I'd never just give in to his suggestion, that'd be like jumping off the Pier. "I'll think about it." I tell him pulling the door open again.

The relief in his features is alarming. Does Morgan Templar know that Mason wears his heart on his sleeve? It's a fucking liability to be able to read him like this. Whatever, not my fucking problem. "I appreciate that Madison, thanks."

I march up to the sixth floor unnerved by our conversation. Unnerved by how easy it is to read Mason Templar, how he keeps calling me Madison, and how I can't shake the feeling that I'm being set up.