Chapter Six: The First Task

Under the circumstances of their new bargain, Cori was permitted to stay in the golden bedroom. He was sent away from the princess with the order that tonight he would be summoned to dine with her to discuss his first task. He would have asked to discuss it then and there, but he caught a glint in her eye that reminded him of when his mother's eyes were bright with fever, and suspected that after her injuries, she would collapse if she spoke to him much longer. So he went back to the bedroom and cleaned himself up, and rested, and wondered what this first hopefully possible task would be.

He wished he could let his mother know about the new deal. Three tasks to complete was certainly more hopeful than indefinite imprisonment. She also would be relieved to know he'd been promoted past the tower.

How was she doing? Had she made it to the healer all right? Had the fever passed, or had she gotten worse? What was their financial situation like now that he was gone? Would she be able to get by?

Cori let all the worries wash over him like a wave wiping him out, then let them go. There was nothing more he could do for his mother from here. He couldn't weigh himself down with things he couldn't change. He had to hope for the best, and put his energy into getting back to her as soon as possible.

When it came time to dine, the same servant knocked on his door once again.

"Sir Coriander," she called, "I'm here to escort you to the princess for supper."

Just yesterday, those words might have made him think the princess wanted to eat him, and not with him. The thought now almost made him laugh.

"Your name is Iridessa, right?" He asked the servant when he reached her. He'd heard the princess call her such, but wanted to check for sure in case the princess made a habit of mixing up names or was one of those aristocrats that called all their servants the same name.

"Yes," Iridessa said.

"That's a nice name."

Her cheeks grew rosier. "Thank you."

They reached a set of grand doors a moment later. It was close enough to his room that Cori hoped he might be able to navigate to it on his own soon enough.

"Here is the dining hall, Coriander sir," Iridessa said, stepping back.

"Thank you," Cori said, "and please, call me Cori. That goes for everyone in the palace."

Iridessa bowed her head, which wasn't a yes or a no.

Cori entered the dining hall. It was a grand space, with the ceiling stretching impossibly tall and the walls impossibly wide. The table in the center of the room was long enough to seat three dozen, at least. The princess sat at one end, looking grumpy.

Two place settings were already set on the table, and Cori felt a slight relief at seeing that his was neither all the way at the other end of the table nor right next to her. His set place put him close enough to speak to the princess, but left three seats in between them. He sat.

"Finally," she grumbled.

"I came when you summoned me."

She didn't answer. He suspected she was not using to waiting for any length of time ever and just the act of waiting, no matter how little it was, was enough to make her grumpy.

So spoiled, he thought, what does she have to be sorrowful about?

Her sorrow cloud was in the room, as always. It was magnificent, in a strange dark way. As large as the dining hall was, the space behind the princess seemed entirely consumed by her curved cloud of darkness.