Chapter Seven: Portrait of a Young Girl

"We should celebrate," Miraluna said. "I can have the cook make a fantastic dessert. Cake, maybe, or jellied tarts."

"What about a trip?" Cori asked.

At once a defensive mask fell over her face. "We can't leave the island."

We. Was that just a polite way of saying that she wouldn't let him leave the island? Then again, politeness wasn't exactly something Miraluna had in spades. But that wasn't what he was asking about anyway.

"Not that," he said, "There's a garden in the palace, isn't there? I'd like to see it."

Miraluna blinked. "Oh. I mean, if that's what you want..."

"It is."

She shrugged, still looking dubious, but she led him back through the castle. The garden was more of a courtyard than a traditional garden. It was bordered by the palace on all sides but above. One set of stairs led to it from within the palace, and a tunnel on the opposite side presumably led outside.

Cori raced down the last few stairs into the garden. It had been so long since he had been surrounded by plants.

But two steps in, he stumbled to a halt. Disappointment clogged up his throat.

This was no lovingly tended plant habitat. The rose bush in the center was the only plant that seemed still alive. The garden was bordered by a circle that he suspected had once been meant to house plants, but now all that remained were dead brown husks.

"You're disappointed," Miraluna said.

"No," he said, because agreeing seemed rude.

"You're a horrid liar."

Cori moved to the rose bush. It was weirdly alien in its perfection. Almost more like a three-dimensional painting of a rose bush instead of a real living one.

"Why are you disappointed?"

Cori casts a glance at her to see if she's offended, but she doesn't seem to be. Just curious.

"I love flowers," he said at last. The rose bush was circled by a rounded bench. He sat. "They're quiet and peaceful, but they're also alive."

"Do they have many flowers where you're from?" She asked.

"Not really," he replied. "The space on the islands are all too tight for wildflowers or other plants to grow in public. There are a few trees here and there- kids like to climb them-but for the most part, all plants are in someone's garden. I used to have my own garden, before my mother and I had to move. Tending to it was kind of all I did most days."

Miraluna's head tilted. "How could gardening take up so much time?"

"Well, most of the plants in my garden weren't native to my island, and only some were even native to Thryfor. That meant they all had to be watched and maintained very carefully to make sure they don't get too wet, or too dry, and to keep- Sorry, I'm rambling."

Miraluna shook her head. "No, keep going. What else do you do in your garden?"

"I also kept a look out for weeds, and pests. Fairly often bugs would find their way into my garden, and either try and make a home in the soil or make a meal of a bit of one of the plants. Weeds will also sprout up, and those have to be purged. Sometimes my plants get too big, and I have to prune bits and pieces back. If they get overgrown, they won't be able to get enough water or light and they'll die, or kill other plants, or both."

"Do you just grow flowers?" Miraluna asked.

"No, I grow all kinds of plants. Flowers and herbs and vegetables and fruits. They all have their virtues. Herbs can heal, and of course vegetables and fruits feed people. But I'll admit, flowers are my favorite. They just exist to be beautiful."