𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

➵ 𝐗𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐫𝐚 𝐎𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐚 𝐑𝐢𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐬 ➵

➣ "Do it again."

Olivia lifted her hand, swirling her fingers and turning her wrist up, letting her hand slowly lift upwards as a flower grew in the pot containing only soil. A small smile formed on her features at the delicate being and she sprouted another one.

"Enough."

She stopped, looking up at the people behind the thick, bulletproof glass with pleading eyes, knowing what's about to happen.

"Now kill it."

Olivia looked down at the beautiful flowers, a lump forming in her throat as she leaned back in her chair, staring at the flower until it suddenly went up in flames, making the young girl flinch. Her lip quivered and she looked down as the heavy metal door was opened and three men walked inside. Two of them were wearing military uniforms, carrying rifles and the third one was simply wearing a suit, stepping forward towards her. Every step he took made the goosebumps on her entire body intensify, her breathing shallow. He put a cage onto the table, making her look up at it. Four small birds were inside, sitting on small branches. The thirteen year old knew what this meant.

The man put a hand on her shoulder, causing her to flinch away slightly. He chuckled lightly at that and leaned down so he was on eye level with her, lifting her chin with the other hand.

"You know what you have to do. Do it", he said. "You know what happened the last time you didn't."

Olivia nodded, eyes full of fear and her heart beating fast. The man smiled, releasing her chin and stepping away from her.

"Good."

They all walked out of the room again, closing and locking the door again and looked at her through the glass. She looked at the birds, reaching out a hand and flicking her wrist slightly, causing the lock to the cage to click open and fall down. She gently opened the cage, offering one of the birds her index finger. The bird stepped onto her finger, fluttering its wings a bit.

Behind the glass, another man wearing a white lab coat had moved to enter the room, not liking the way the girl had opened the cage, and wanting to slap her and tell her to do what she's supposed to. But the other man in the suit had stopped him, a small sinister smile on his face as he watched the girl. He knew she'd do what they want eventually, and so far, that was enough for him. They also learned more about her powers when they let her experiment with them herself. For example, they had no idea she's able to open locks like that. They'd have to be even more careful with her now.

Olivia lifted the bird out of the cage. It was still sitting on her finger, unknowing of its inevitable destiny. She gently petted the bird's head, tears building in her eyes. She closed her hand gently around it, holding it still and pressing a small kiss to its head.

"I'm sorry", she whispered as she put the bird down onto the table.

She fixed her eyes on it, swallowing the lump in her throat. Suddenly the little bird started making weird noises, water running out of its mouth. Olivia was drowning it from the inside. More and more water came out of the bird's mouth and it fell down. More water spilled out of its mouth until Olivia couldn't feel its life force anymore. She stopped, looking down at the bird that was laying in a puddle of water with tear filled eyes.

Water.

"Next one, come on Livi", the man with the suit said into a microphone, smirking.

She flinched at his voice, shivering at his nickname for her and looked at the next bird.

"It's subject A234B79", the man in the lab coat corrected the man in the suit, but he was ignored.