Thirty

Robert Williams
New Orleans, Louisiana
September 17th, 2011

Meek watched Eli as he laid flowers down on his mother's grave. He squatted down, kissing the stone. Meek clenched his jaw. Today was supposed to be the day Alaina died and it hurt Meek to the core to have Eli grieving for someone who was still alive.

"Eli.." Meek cleared his throat. Eli looked back at him with tears in his eyes. Meek waved him over as he stood up with his hands in his pockets. "We need to talk."

Eli wiped his face, "Right now?" He glanced back at the grave. "Yeah." Meek nodded his head as he looked around, trying to avoid the inevitable.

"Look Eli, I wasn't going to tell you until I thought you were mentally ready, but to see you standing here crying and heart broken over your mother hurts me to the core. I found out a few weeks ago that your mother is still alive. It hurt me to the core, but I knew it would hurt you more and the last thing I would want to do is bring you pain. I need you to know that I love you and that's all I can say right now son."

Meek watched as Eli's face changed. He clenched his jaw and looked back at the grave. Eli squatted down, picking the flowers up and throwing them across the graveyard. Meek watched as his chest went up and down. He seen him look down at the grave then back up to Meek.

"WHAT DID WE BURY?!?? HUH?! WHAT'S IN THE CASKET?" Eli yelled out, "Why didn't you tell me?!" Eli asked as his veins began to pop out his forehead which was the same thing Meek did.

Meek grabbed Eli by his shoulder and bought him into a hug. "I'm so sorry." Was all Meek said as he held on tighter to Eli. Meek held his tears back as Eli broke down in his arms.

-

"Yo bro, I know what today is for you so I figured to make some of your favorite foods and put on your favorite movie in the basement with the big tv. Then, we can go play some football, ya know? Help you cope today."

Chris said as Eli and Meek walked into the house together, "Nah bro, thanks." Eli said and Chris laughed, "It's cool, I didn't cook it, Ma did." He pointed back to Nicki who was standing in the kitchen.

"I said I'm good bro, Thank you though, forreal." Eli said in a low tone. All you could hear in his tone was hurt making Nicki look up at him. Even though he spoke lowly, Nicki could still manage to hear the hurt in his voice from the kitchen.

Eli walked up the stairs before anyone else could respond. Chris looked back at Nicki then at Meek, "Oh, cool." He said before he walked off into the basement.

Nicki took off her mittens, "We knew he'd be upset, but he wasn't this sad when he left wh-... You told him." Nicki said as she realized mid sentence.

"I had to. He sat there, heart broken, crying over a casket that was probably empty. It hurt my heart." Meek shook his head, looking away to avoid eye contact with Nicki.

"I'm so sorry." Nicki said as she stood on her tippy toes, wrapping her arms around his neck. Meek wrapped his arms around her body, embracing the hug. He fought back his tears as he laid his head in her neck.

"As the words came out my mouth... I seen his whole world fall, Nic." Meek said as his voice slightly cracked. Nicki hugged Meek tighter as he spoke.

"I'm so so sorry..." She repeated. "I love you."

A few minutes later Meek pulled away, kissing the top of her head. "I need to lie down." He said and she nodded her head. "Of course." Meek gave her a weak smile and kissed her lips.

"I love you." He said before making his way up the stairs.

Meek walked up the stairs, wanting to head into Eli's room but he turned the corner, walking to the room he shared with Nicki instead.