One

Onika Maraj
New Orleans, Louisiana
2011

Nicki shook her head as she sat in the car watching her door, waiting for it to open. She pressed the side button on her phone, looking down at the time.

Monday, April 4th
7:25 am

Her fingers reached up, pushing her black curls to the back of her hair as she sighed. She locked her black IPhone 4 back, sitting it down in the cupholder. Getting impatient, she pressed her hand against her 2011 Mercedes-Benz-E-Class Coupe horn.

"Christian let's fucking go!!" She yelled, even though she knew that he couldn't hear her.

A few seconds later, her 12 year old son, Chris came rushing out the house, locking the door behind him. He was 5'2, damn near taller than Nicki. He had her complexion even though his father was darker. His hair was freshly braided down in eight braids with his fresh shape up.

She rolled her eyes seeing his choice of wardrobe. He had on an white Burberry shirt with a splash of red and black in it that she'd just bought him, and a pair of light washed ripped up Balmain jeans. He went to a private school that required uniform, so when he was allowed to dressed down he did the most.

She giggled lightly seeing him.

He opened the door, getting into the passenger seat. Nicki put the car in gear, pulling out the driveway. "You're corny. And, you're mixing brands." She told him and he looked at her, smacking his lips.

"Ma, get outta hea'" He said in his thick New York accent making Nicki giggle. "You swore you were fly. You need mommy to dress you baby boy."

Chris smacked his lips. "Ma.." He warned and she giggled.

"Okay, I quit."

Christian was originally born in Barcelona, Spain. Christian Grayson Maraj born September 20th, 1999. Nicki had gotten pregnant while she was down there in college.

Christian's father, Anthony was studying law in college at the time. He was now a cop in Houston. They split amicable. There were no hard feelings on either end. He'd come see Christian whenever he could considering his work field.

Christian had responsible parents, and both were active in his life. Nicki moved him to New York when she had finished college and gotten her doctoral degree.

They had been living in New Orleans for a good two, or three years now where Nicki was the highest paid doctor in New Orleans. She worked at Tulane Medical Center.

Nicki pulled up to Christian's private high school De La Salle. "Thanks ma. I love you." He kissed her cheek and got out the car, grabbing his bag and equipment.

"Have a good day, I love you, too."

"I have practice tonight, so i'll just catch a ride home with Eli." He said and Nicki shook her head.

"Who?" She asked in a confused tone. She didn't like him being anywhere, or going anywhere that she didn't know of. "No, I'll be here. Text me when it's over."

Christian shook his head. "Aight ma."

Nicki pulled off, heading straight to work. She honestly wished Christian turned 16 so he could get his own damn car. That was her baby, but she got tired of always driving his ass around.

Her phone rung in the cup holder as she pulled up to a red light. Adjusting her seatbelt, she picked it up seeing her best friend, Lauren calling her. "Hi my love." Nicki answered, connecting her bluetooth.

"Hey, I'm bringing you lunch today we need to catch up."

"Okay that's fine. I should be on break around 2:30ish." Nicki ran her fingers through her curls, deciding if she should just throw it in the ponytail now.