fourteen

꧁ঔৣ☬✞𝐀𝐅𝐅𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐄 𝐃𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐄𝐔𝐑 ✞☬ঔৣ꧂

{pride}

"are you proud?" 

Laenys' words were shaky as she stood before her husband, the usurper king. Aegon sat before her at the head of the council table, his head in his hands. "what would you have me do? you helped them capture me, i hope you don't forget. you're just as bad as i am." 

"don't ever compare you and i." Laenys suddenly snapped, stepping forwards. Aegon flinched, lifting his head from his hands as she drew nearer. "there was nothing i could do to stop it, you know this Aegon. Ser Erryk and Ser Arryk found you before we had. you would be crowned king no matter what. if you wish to know the truth of it, Aemond swore to me that if i helped i would be set free. and so should our children!" 

"you plan to leave me?" Aegon asked in a shocked whisper, his face full of astonishment as he stared. "to take our children and flee?" 

panic ran through her mind. Laenys had to think of something, and something fast. so, she played the victim, the timid, broken wife. "i was afraid, Aegon." her voice shook, she needed him to believe her. she needed him on her side. her schemes began to change in her mind, her initial plan shifting, taking shape to enable a new. "i was afraid of what may happen to our children. i, am my mother's heir. they are my children. if something happened to my children, it would be to stop my mother. something i couldn't trust your council to avoid. they'd killed two people so far, who is to say Jaehaerys, Jaehaera and Maelor are not next? or me? i stand in your way, i am your challenge, Aegon." 

she could see it in his eyes as she cried. sympathy. 

for Aegon, in his own, impractical way, was in love with his wife. "no," he stood, "no you are not. nothing will happen to you, nothing will happen to our children. i swore, in our vows at only ten and three that i would protect you. it was your father's duty, and now it is mine. no harm shall come to you or our children, my love. i swear this to you. i swear this to you on everything i know and everything i love."