Chapter Three

The sun shone through the haze of the canopy above and illuminated the path leading into the forest's depths. Ruby heard the crisp leaves crunch under her feet, but other than that, the forest seemed strangely silent. As though it was anticipating something horrible. 

Ruby breath came out in rugged, uneven puffs. Her heart beat accelerated insider her rib cage. She was sure anything in the forest could hear it. Her eyes watch the forest carefully, watching for intruders. Anything dangerous. Ruby felt helpless, vulnerable. 

 The forest stirred silently. Ruby blinked as sweat trickled down the nape of her neck. No forest is this quite. Her eyes danced across the landscape, hoping to find the source of the silence. 

The cold wind pressed against her skin, dancing across it, like an icy blade, leaving behind goosebumps. Ruby's breath faltered slightly. Her body was washed this new presence, the pure presence of evil. The darkness that lured her into the forest teased her slightly. It was the exact feeling of insecurity she felt before her father was killed by that...thing. 

Ruby wanted to run. She wanted to run, just as she did the day her father died, run from the sorrows and dangers. Run until she could run no more. To escape the sorrows of the land. 

She whimpered slightly, but took a brave step forward, her feet crunching the twigs littering the forest floor. The sun rays beamed at her from behind the tree's canopy. The only light in the forest of darkness. 

"You shouldn't be here."

The voice was soft but demanding and sprang out of nowhere. Ruby leaped in shook, her heart hammering against her ribs. Her breathing quickened as fear took its hold. The voice was real, not a figure of her imagination, but it had that same undaunted texture to it as the voice in her head. Like it wasn't actually a real voice, just a made up one that somehow drifted across Ruby. 

She snapped her head to the side, looking frantically for the source of the noise. She began to panic, blindly stumbling backwards as she tripped on stray logs. Her breath was turning into a whimper now as her eyes darted through the canopy of the forest. 

"Run. Go. Out of here. Nothing good awaits you in this prison." 

The voice was masculine and soft, but it still had the harshness of a demand. And she realized, with a sudden jolt, that fear was also in this voice. 

She finally found her voice and opened her mouth. Instead of words, a series of long tumbling whimpers flew out. She swallowed hard, cutting of the lame whimpers. There seemed to something in her throat, impossible to swallow, and cutting off any chances of speaking. 

She fell backwards, landing with a thud on her back, knocking the remaining breath she managed to keep out of her rib cage. She pushed herself onto her elbows and panted for breath. Her eyes drifted upwards and she gasped. 

Standing in front of her was a gleaming white wolf, its fur shinning white in the sunlight. Its worried blue eyes stared down at her, clouded with worry, fear and nervousness. It towered above her, occasionally looking backwards as if checking to see if the enemy was approaching. It pawed the ground nervously and Ruby noticed it had silver hooked nails, the bottom concealed by the thick white fur. 

"Why are you still here? He's coming for you. He won't stop until he has you. And now that you've entered his realm, your fate is entitled to him," the wolf seemed to say, though with the same inner voice she'd heard earlier, as if it was the second voice in her head. "Foolish girl."

Ruby couldn't help but feel ashamed. This....wolf had called her a foolish girl and she'd felt ashamed. As if she'd disappointed him. But...wolves couldn't talk. This must all be a dream. It was the only logical explanation. 

The wolf looked down and a low growl escaped his throat. "I told you to run! Run! Run you idiotic girl!" he seemed to shout. Ruby scrambled to her feet, utterly confused and terrified and stumbled around. She blindly began to walk forward, until she broke into a heavy run when the wolf snarled at her to do so . He also added a rather nasty insult. 

I'll slap him for it later, Ruby thought as she ran through the forest, ignoring the brambles shredding into her dress and skin. 

She turned her head and looked behind her, to see if the wolf had gone. But it still stood there, its fur on edges, growling lowly. She could feel the terror of such a sight. The wolf stood with its paw apart, holding its ground. Him, she thought, it's a he, not it.

The wolf turned his giant head and stared at her, his blue eyes boring into her with a sudden urgency. Although he spoke no words, Ruby knew he was urging her, begging her, to run. 

Ruby pressed forward, breaking her gaze off the wolf. She bolted forward, towards the edge of the forest, to the clearing. But something dark and shadowy leaped from the shadows of the forest and stood in front of her, snorting slightly. Its hot breath sent shivers rippling down her spine. 

The black beast was nothing Ruby ever encountered before. Its eyes were blood red and thirsty for bloodshed. It was several times larger than the white wolf, towering above her so much, it had to crane its next downwards to see her. His breath smelt foul and there was the evil presence about it, an evil aurora she didn't feel towards the white wolf. This one felt like death. 

"You dare try to escape me?! Silly girl. I would kill you for entering my forest but..." the wolf's eyes turned darker with thirst, "You are her. You are the Chosen One."

From the forest sprang several other wolves, all large, but smaller than the black one. Their coats were shades of grey and brown, nothing as unusual as the white or black wolf. They stared at her coldly before dipping into a bow, their heads facing the ground. The white wolf was amongst them, staring sadly at her before bowing too. 

Ruby struggled to breathe, to talk. "What...?" she chocked out. The black wolf's eyes glinted at her, as if he was smiling. He lifted his head and nodded to two wolves who stepped towards Ruby. Ruby surged backwards, but they pinned her to the ground with their paws and slung her over their backs. Ruby gripped onto the fur, hoping she wouldn't fall. 

"Let me. She trusts me, I think." the white wolf spoke. He stepped forward and reluctantly, the wolves transferred her to his back. The wolf's fur was silky and curled under her fingers. She could feel his heart beat, hammering against the inside of his chest, feel the warmth radiating from him. She almost felt...at home. As if she belonged. 

"Let us go now. We have what I want. The day has come. The Queen is here. She has returned home," the black wolf announced. The wolves howled in agreement before they marched into the forest. 

Ruby lay flat on her stomach as the white wolf marched onwards. She curled her hands into fists angrily. She was being kidnapped by wolves. The very same wolves who killed her father. 

Sadness washed over her like an oncoming tide. Tears leaked through her eyes and sobs raked her body. She was aware of the black wolf watching her intently. The white wolf could feel her pain and sadness and shook his giant head. 

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

********************************************

Well, this is the end of chapter three where Ruby has finally meet Ra! *Gasp*! So vote, comment, fan, do whatever the hell you like. 

Thanks, 

Fallen Abyss

xxxxxxxxx