Chapter-1 THE BOY ON THE ATTIC

A beautiful shiny morning with a light snowfall in the small town of Lachung, Sikkim. The stone roads are partially covered with fine snow. The places where there is no access to sunlight the snow there is as hard as glass. The cool flowing breeze is enough to motivate you for a new challenging day. The sun is up and Sam too who just set off from his small little hut on his bicycle.

Sam, a 17 years old boy. Born with no identity to identify himself, who he is? From the very first day since he was born until a year back from today, he opened his eyes every morning just to see a huge rusty gate with a wooden board hanging on it. The same wooden board every morning reading the same- Blooming Flowers orphanage.

One year ago

The past sixteen years, how they passed, maybe Sam doesn't remember. Moreover there is nothing for him to remember too. No special day, no special moment. Every day what he seen was just the kids playing happily but what him? Just sitting on the attic in a corner looking at the other children who never allowed him to play with them. Neither he was allowed to play with them by Granny Nanny. She always forbade him and prevented him to go near the other boys. Every single day, for the all sixteen years, Sam asked the same questions from Granny Nanny and he always got the same answers for all those questions.

Sixteen years has passed. Sam has grown taller and quite handsome too. But rarely anyone in the orphanage knows that there is someone called Sam in the orphanage living with them. One by one most of the kids got adopted. Some of them left the orphanage to start their own life on their own. Only a few are left now and Sam is one of them still with a hidden identity in the orphanage.

Just like any normal day, it was a bright Sunday morning. Just like any normal day, Sam was sitting on the attic with his legs hanging down after having breakfast. Although it was an another normal day but something was different today in the orphanage. Maybe because today the remaining students too were going to leave the orphanage to start their own independent life. Today the orphanage was very much quite. There was no hustle and bustle. There was no sound of cracking jokes and no shriek of laughter was to be heard. Sam too was quite as he always was without any sign of emotion on his face.

Sam kept looking downwards at the other boys who were giving gifts to each other. There was joy on their faces as their were going to be independent now but at the same time there was another feeling on their faces. The feeling that depicted that they are going to be separated. They no more will be able to see each other every morning when they will wake up. They no more will be able to fight over the last piece of bread in breakfast. Maybe they will never be able to see their lovely home in which they lived for the last sixteen years. All these thought were bringing the feeling of sadness on their faces. A feeling with which Sam was completely unfamiliar.

The day went on just like that and finally the time arrived when everyone was ready to leave. With their luggage in their hands everyone was standing at the door. Now there was complete sadness on their faces and tears in their eyes. But Sam found it very weird. He thought ,"Why is water coming out of their eyes? Why are they not happy?"

The thought was disturbing him again and again so he decides to search it online," Why water comes out of eyes?". He opened at article which read as-"whenever anyone is sad or hurt, water comes out of their eyes in the form of tears.". The explanation made Sam more confused maybe because until today he didn't know what tears were? What sadness was? How it feels when someone is hurt? He touched his eyes and thought, "Where my tears are? Why am I not sad?"

Everyone left and now Sam was all alone. Now he can't even see other children, sitting on the attic. Now, he no more can laugh watching other children laughing. Now, he no more was left with his favourite pastime that was watching others quietly sitting on the attic. All he was left with complete loneliness. He was left with a lot of new questions, a great confusion about what he saw and read today and a

                                                          Wish to know what Tears Are?