Chapter 4: Far From Home

'Hey Cass,
Sorry you had to find out like this, but I'm going to Haven. I am taking that entrance exam, I'm going to initiation, and I'm going to become a huntress. This is probably my stupidest and most selfish decision ever, and I'm sorry. But I can't keep hiding. I can't keep living under servalance, I can't keep wondering what the world outside is like. I'm not a little kid anymore, Cass. I'm 14 and it's time I start finding myself. I'm so sorry Cass. If you don't hate me by the time you finish this letter, maybe you come down to Haven and watch me. I think they can do that, right? Maybe I can ask for you. I'll be sure to text you when I get there so you don't worry as much as you will now. I love you, Cass and I will be forever thankful for everything you've done for me.
With love,
Aurora'

That was the letter that Aurora left on her bed for Cassum to find once she left for Haven. For the past five days, she had been planning her escape, modifying her good prototypes, filling out the applications Lucio sent her over her scroll, finding an outfit that could work for whatever she was about to endure. Cassum didn't suspect anything, mainly because he was keeping his distance from what he assumed was a still angry Aurora. That morning, she slipped out the back door and made a run for it.

And then she got lost for 15 minutes until someone was kind enough to lead her in the right direction. Now, she was here, with Lucio, and about 7 minutes away from the initiation.

"He didn't respond to my text after I got here. He probably hates me." She said, nervously looking away from the older boy.

"He doesn't hate you, Ro. He just has to deal with it. He knows your not a little kid, but he can't let that part of you go." Lucio explained.

"Maybe your right..."

"Are you nervous?"

"Terrified."

"So are a hundred other people here. You'll be fine."

"I don't think I can do this."

Lucio placed his hands on her shoulders, bending down to her level. "It'll be okay, Aurora. I'll be right next you the whole step of the way. You don't have to do this alone."

Aurora smiled, wrapping her arms around Lucio for a hug. "Thanks, Lucio. That somewhat helped me."

"Glad to be of some help."

She chuckled, pulling away as she collected the rest of her things when Lucio noticed something on her belt.

"What's this?" He asked, reaching for it, a large grin growing as soon as he got a good look at it. "Aw! It's cute little piggy!"

Aurora, confused, whipped around to see what the hell he was even talking about, her eyes wide with horror.

Attached to her homemade 'utility belt,' was a small and cute plush pig keychain from when she was about 8. "Aw man! I thought I got rid of that before I left!" She exclaimed.

Lucio laughed. "It's fine! I think it's cute!"

"I'm not supposed to be cute, Lucio! I'm supposed to look like a really serious huntress!" She pouted, stomping her feet on the ground.

"I can't help it! It's adorable!"

"Hey, are you two done?" Harlow called, "it's time to go."