The Targets

Autumn's POV

Now that the adrenaline from the moment was gone, my body started registering the pain. The side of my head was ringing from when I crashed into a tree. Both my knees were badly bruised. Don't even get me started on the cuts and scratches. My mental and physical sirens were blaring. I felt like I was going to pass out.

"Let's just find a place to hide," I said quietly, meeting Lynn's trembling grey eyes.

We went into one of the only cottages that didn't look like it was going to crumble the second we step inside. Terry lights an oil lamp with the matches that she had snuck in her pockets. It was a cozy little cottage, but it felt eerie. Probably because it didn't look like it had been used in a century. Cobwebs in every corner you turn, everywhere you step is followed with a creak. We hear whispers from outside. The words were indistinguishable. They sounded like the whispers of a chilly breeze, barely noticeable. We all freeze, silent.

"I'm going to look out the window," Terry whispers, as she points towards the red curtains that cover what seem a window. I can see the fear in her forest green eyes as I cautiously move my way around the room following her. With every single creak, we freeze. We head towards the curtains, which takes up a chunk of the outside wall. We pull it apart.

This isn't a window.

There was a bulletin board with a map pinned to it. The area it showed looked strangely familiar...

It was camp!

I could see all the cabins surrounding the lake. It would've been a beautiful illustration, if it weren't for the markings. There were figurines, moving around toward their normal camp activities. I recognized every counselor, every annoying boy, the girls laughing together by the lake, and... us. Our figurines were standing by the campfire pit. We were circled with a fat red marking, while everyone else was stabbed with a dart in their faces. This was a creepy scene, and it concluded our fears. This abandoned village wasn't abandoned after all.