Chapter 5

Lena wasn't really a dress wearing kind of a girl, but as she got ready for her dinner date with Kara, she decided it would be appropriate to wear one. She didn't want to be overdressed especially since the weather was so hot. It was almost 100 degrees outside. She settled for a simple evergreen dress. Because she knew Kara liked the way she looked in that color.

When she stood in front of the mirror and contemplated the accessories she should use, Lena remembered the oval-shaped crystal necklace that had a tiny white plumeria flower inside of it. Kara had given it to her on their graduation day. She only wore it on special occasions and she considered tonight a special occasion.

As soon as she finished getting ready she felt a wave of anxiety pass through her. Yes, Kara had accepted her plan, which indeed was their reason for meeting tonight. She reminded herself that she should feel calm by the fact that Kara was willing to help. After all, that would make this project much more exciting.

The small house she rented was not far from town and she decided to walk to rid herself of the nervous energy that had been building up inside of her. She grabbed her purse, put her sunglasses on, and headed to Noonan's. When she finished walking the first block she suddenly realized that it was a mistake to walk to Noonan's. She arrived at her destination sweaty and clammy as a roasted piece of meat.

Kara parked in front of Noonan's just as Lena was passing the pharmacy, only two blocks away. While she was walking, Lena watched Kara jump out of her truck. She was wearing a blue shirt and jeans, yet even in the simplicity of her outfit she looked so damn hot. Kara's thighs against the jeans fabric and her back accented by the blue shirt was a sight to see. Lena couldn't help but stare. As years had gone by, Lena had found herself thinking that Kara was very attractive but the thought had been forgotten. Now, she was thinking about it once again.

As if Kara had felt Lena's eyes on her, Kara suddenly turned around before stepping into Noonan's.

"Is your car broken?" Kara asked, curious by the fact she had walked from her house.

"No, I just decided to walk" Lena replied casually.

"In this heat?" Kara snapped.

"Believe me, I realized it. I have to admit, I do feel a little heated." Lena admitted.

When she got close to Kara, Lena could smell her coconut body lotion. For some odd reason it gave her a ticklish feeling in her stomach.

Kara looked at Lena from head to toe while keeping her sunglasses on.

"I thought, I've taught you better. Now after this walk in the hot weather, this AC is going to be bad for you." Kara told her

"God! You sound like my mother. Can you at least tell me you like this dress? I put it on because I know you like this color on me." Lena replied

"The dress looks great but you are gonna catch a cold." Kara said with concern in her voice.

Feeling irritated, she understood that secretly she had been waiting for the typical reaction people have in movies when they see their best friend in a dress.

Kara opened the door for her and the little bells above it rang, announcing their entrance.

Kara noticed Lena's silence and irritation then decided to say something. "Look, if you are going to have this attitude maybe we should forget the plan."

"Forget it? Just like that?" Lena snapped back at her. 'She has to be kidding. After gaining all that courage to tell her about it, Kara just tells me to forget about my plan? She's crazy.'

"Hey, you two! Closet that door! We are trying to keep the restaurant cool not trying to cool down the whole town, M'gann yelled at them, she had been a waitress here all her life.