Chapter 20

Leo was determined to get as much money as he could, for the ring. He had taken it to a local pawn shop owner to try and sell it.

"Interesting." The owner said, as he admired the ring.

"How much can I get for it?" Leo asked.

"These initials KJ what do they stand for?" The shop keeper asked.

"It's an old family jewel." Leo said quickly. "I can't tell you more than that."

"Eighty coins" the shop keeper said.

"No, ninety, or forget it." Leo said.

"Eighty-five." The shopkeeper said.

"Ninety." Said a stranger from behind Leo.

"Ninety-five."

One hundred." The stranger said to Leo.

"It's yours." Said the shopkeeper.

"Follow me, I'll pay at my place." The stranger said. "A family jewel, you said it was?"

"Yes." Leo said.

If only Leo had known what would happen from selling that ring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emma was in her room going over the new trade route. But no matter how hard she tried, the thought of Killian came to her. She remembered how it felt being in his arms as they danced together for the first time. When he showed her, his scarred face. Wondering if he thought of her. She also thought about the last thing he said to her. Was she willing to spend her life with a beast.

"Emma come downstairs." Emma's thoughts were interrupted by her mother. She hurried downstairs to see what all the fuss was about.

When the family was all in the same room, Snow made the announcement. "Emma's godmother, Ruby, is marrying Dorothy. They set a wedding date for next Saturday."

"Saturday?" Emma questioned.

"Yes, isn't it wonderful." Snow said.

"Yes." Emma was supposed to return to the château by next Saturday to give Killian an answer. Emma was unsure of what to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that night Emma decided to write him a letter.

My darling Killian,

All I do is think about us. Killian, I feel as though I'm in the middle of a storm, with the port very far away. Even though I can't stop thinking about you. I only learned today that this Saturday my godmother is getting married. So I'll stay in the city for that. Allow me these few more days, and then I'll give you my answer.

Love,

Emma Nolan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Late in the night at the château, Drizella was waiting for someone by the servant's entrance. Suddenly a mysterious stranger appeared and said, "Give this to Countess Gothel. She'll find it very interesting." Giving Drizella a small silk bag.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before Killian could read his mail Gothel intercepted it, and stole the letter that was from Emma.

Killian frantically searched through the mail, Gothel had given to him, but there was no word from Emma. Killian began to lose hope.

"You were hoping for word, from her, weren't you." Gothel said.