Chapter 6

A new chapter up!  Hope you guys like it and let me know what you think!!  Picture of Kim Nam Gil as Lee Woon Ha.

~Watercolur

After a week in Inhyung Palace, which was the home that his father spent part of his childhood, Yong’s new teacher arrived.  However, when he made his presence known, many mistook him for a commoner instead of the yangban (nobleman) he was, and the prince’s servants tried to thrown him out.  When Yong went to see what all the commotion was about, he found the scene to be rather amusing as the older man tried to fight his way through the throng of servants.  “I was sent here by the order of the king!” he proclaimed.

“That’s enough,” ordered Yong waving his hand for the servants to part.  He then walked up to the short man and frowned.  “And may I ask...who are you?”

“I am Kim Soo Jong, Wonsanmama,” he said and bowed.

Yong and Kim Soo Jong then departed for the prince’s study room where they were served tea.  As he took a sip of his tea, Prince Wonsan looked at the man. “So, is it true that my father sent you?”

“Yes, mama.  He wishes that you continue your studies even though you have left the palace,” Kim Soo Jong informed.  

Yong turned away.  “And why does my father wish for me to continue my studies?” He looked back at his “teacher.”  “A prince of Joseon is not even allowed to partake in politics so what is the reason for me to continue?”

“I’m not sure of it myself.  Perhaps the king wants you to cultivate your mind.  I have heard of your extraordinary intelligence,” the man answered as a he too a drink.  Yong couldn’t help but note that the man acted every bit like a nobleman despite his appearance.

“I’m curious...but why do you dress as such?” Yong questioned nodding towards the man’s choice of wardrobe.

“Ah, this?”  The man pulled the cloth of his hanbok and chuckled.  “Perhaps I just find it rather comfortable and a less waste of money than purchasing silks.”

Yong smirked.  “Of course.  Do you do this to not discriminate against the commoners?”

“Commoners?!”  At this, Kim Soo Jong let out a hearty laugh.  “Mama, what makes you say such thing?”

Because, no nobleman would dare wear such clothing that could put him on the same level as those below him,” he pointed out.  At this, the older man frowns.

“When the king is happy with the people’s happiness the people are also happy with the king’s happiness,” Kim Soo Jong quotes.

“Ah, Mencius.”  

“Yes, mama.  And what does it mean?”

“If the king shares happiness of the people then the people will be happy for the king, too,” he answered.  The older man nodded his head.  Yong smirked, pleased that he knew the answer.

“And what do you think is the people’s happiness, mama?” the man implored raising his eyebrows as if challenging Yong.

“To...is...is it when the king provides for their happiness?”

Kim Soo Jong clucked his tongue in amusement and shook his head.  “No, Wonsanmama.  It’s to be respected as a human being.  And since everyone on earth is born a human being they should be give that right to be respected.”

“But I am not a king or even being considered for the seat,” Yong stated in annoyance.  

“Yes, that is true, mamaHowever, you are still in a position of power even if you are under the king by law.  You are still a ruler, but in a different way.  You still have the obligation to see the people of the king the same as he does as son of the ruler of Joseon,” the man explained.