Chapter 4

Picture of Soo Ae as Queen Gonghye.

Court Lady Pak started to take notice of distressing signs during Yong’s preteen years and would inform the queen.  It was the signs that had worried Queen Gonghye the most that during those years she could hardly sleep at night due the worry of her hidden daughter’s ever changing body.

In his tenth year, Queen Gonghye decided that they should bind Yong’s chest so as to halt the development of breasts in a case to flatten them.  And every night before the prince went to sleep, Court Lady Pak would massage Prince Wonsan’s chest with a pestle.  These things often brought discomfiture to Yong, but he was always strictly reminded that what they were doing was to remain a secret.  Over time, he learned to live with the discomfort, but he always felt constrained.  He often wondered if the other princes had to go through the same way and if it was tradition for every prince.  

And so combined with Moo Yeol’s upper strength training and the women’s attempt to iron Yong’s chest, the breasts were indeed flattened.

However, Queen Gonghye was hit with yet another obstacle in Prince Wonsan’s eleventh year.  Dowager Queen Jeongsun had called for her son and daughter-in-law to her quarters.  “I believe it is time for Prince Wonsan to be married,” she informed them.

“No!” the queen replied a bit too loudly.  King Seojong and Dowager Queen Jeongsun looked at her shocked that the queen had lost her composure over such a matter.  She shifted her gaze and cleared her throat.  “W-what I mean is, daebimama, that I believe the prince is not yet ready to marry,” she explained her sudden outburst.

“But you married the king at that age,” the dowager queen stated in confusion.

“True,” the king agreed with his mother.

“Yes, but I believe that Yong has yet to understand the value of family.  Don’t you think it would be best until the investiture of the Crown Prince is decided upon?  Prince Yeonsan, is 16 and has yet to marry,” Queen Gonghye argued.  This time her wit aided her and had confidence that her argument would win them over and indeed it did.

“I agree with the queen, omamama,” King Seojong said.  “Prince Wonsan is 11 and when I was his age I did not understand the concept of family and did not have the ability or mindset to take care of my wife or my children even at 15.”

Jusang!” his mother exclaimed.  

“Until then, let us put this matter on hold,” he said sternly.  At this, Queen Gonghye sighed with relief.  With time on her side, she needed to find a way to handle Yong’s future marriage.

When Prince Wonsan was 12 and Prince Bongrim was 10, they managed to sneak out of the palace with the help of one of the eunuchs.  A festival was occurring in Hanyang, and the crowd was lit with excitement and anticipation.  Chinese lanterns hung everywhere, and Yong and Rin were amazed at the spectacle as they had never seen such an exciting event before after living inside the palace for nearly a decade.

They happened to come upon a traveling circus.  They gawked at the sight of a man dressed in a woman’s hanbok jump around on the tightrope.  However, while Rin was enjoying the spectacle, Yong heard a throng of laughter in the background.  Curious, he made his way towards the sound  and saw women competing to see who could catch the flower first swinging back and forth on a swing while standing up.  

When the competition was over, a man called out for anyone wishing to compete.  Deciding that it look fund, Yong wanted to try it.  “I do!” he called.