-3-

New York City, New York
-Colin Rivera-

With a start, the boy awoke. Shooting upright, his blurred vision settled on the analogue clock upon the wall. Unfortunately, from his location, he couldn't read it. Blinking away the dried crust around his eyes, he leaned down to pick up his cellphone, which evidently had fallen into the floor during his rest.

The screen flickered on:

1:38am.

So why did the house feel unusually empty? Midas had not returned, he gathered. Sometimes he would work late, sometimes he chose to come home early, and today must have been one of those days that he chose to work late.

Worried, Collin scrambled to unlock his screen and locate Midas' phone number. There was a ring, and then another, and another...until moments later, the line picked up. It took a second before a disgruntled figure grunted out in a deep voice::

*Midas Duvall."

Had he accidentally called the work phone instead? Midas never answered the phone like that unless it was for business. Checking the caller ID, he frowned.

It was.

"Midas," Collin gasped softly. "Are you still working?"

There was silence for a moment and a sound of shuffling papers could be heard in the background. Then, Midas sighed.

"Yes. You called my work phone. You know you aren't supposed to do that until after-" He paused as if to check the time. Suddenly his demeanor changed.

"One thirty eight..." He murmured. Then, he dropped his calm, collected business tone. Now his words were lace with anger as he berated his significant other,

"What the fuck are you even doing awake right now, Collin?" He demanded. "You're supposed to be asleep, not dilly-dallying around."

"I'm sorry," Colin mumbled softly. "I was asleep until a moment ago. I fell asleep right after I got home from the animal shelter."

"Animal.shelter?" Midas muttered, "Whatever. Doesn't matter. Collin, I have to go."

"But I had-"

"Text it, Collin," he argued sternly. "If it is so important that it can't wait just hurry and share what you have to say. I have to finish these spreadsheets but soon I'll be on my way home. So, can it wait?"

"...yes."

"Good. See you in a little while, Collin."

Now he was stuck. What was Collin supposed to be doing now?

In frustration, he let out a small, timid swear as if afraid someone were around to hear him. It wasn't often the boy swore. Midas didn't seem too partial on the behavior and neither did any of his frequent company.

Suddenly, his phone blipped.

Midas:
What did you need

Midas:
don't lie to me and say that you forgot
because I know there is something you
want from me

Unfortunately, Midas knew Collin very well. It had only been roughly three years since he'd been taken under Midas wing, but that was plenty of time to know a person. It was also plenty of time to Fall for a person.

He remembered Midas' refusal for quite some time. He claimed he wouldn't acknowledge Collin's advances until he was sure the boy turned eighteen.

Collin:
I'm sick