Chapter 1

Natalia's mouth was dry, and she found it hard to swallow.

"This is so exciting," her mother said, squirming in her seat.

Her father nodded with a big smile on his face.

Natalia managed a swallow and almost choked.

"I... I wanted to go to college."

She almost coughed the words.

"Nonsense," her mother said. "I never went to college and look at what I've accomplished."

"How can you not want this?" her father said with a wave of his hand, indicating the room in which they sat.

"This is just a waiting room," Natalia muttered, but her statement was misconstrued.

"Fine imported mahogany woodwork. The finest tapestries. Gold. Silver," her mother said, pointing out the lavish decor of the room. "I almost feel under-dressed."

Her mother smoothed her skirt and fiddled with her necklace. Natalia knew the dress was an original creation that cost a lot of money. Her mother had accessorized with matching shoes, a hat, and gold jewelry with diamonds and rubies. Natalia thought she was overdressed considering where they were. However, she nodded in agreement with her mother. The richness of the room did seem to make her mother's outfit and even her father's tailored suit, appear shabby.

Natalia smoothed her own dress out of uneasiness. She swore her white dress glowed, making her feel even more self-conscious.

"I meant this room is supposed to look over the top. They're trying to impress you," Natalia said, startled to find her voice raspy.

"Of course," her mother said as if reprimanding her. "A position in this church is quite an honor. An honor to be proud of."

Her mother looked ready to explode with joy.

"This church is at the forefront for helping the poor."

"A lot of people could be helped with the money in this room," Natalia murmured.

She wanted to reiterate that she wanted to go to college but decided it would be futile.

"I didn't know we were coming here."

"You'll be taken care of for life," her father said, looking about the room as if this lavishness would soon be hers.

Natalia grimaced. This was not where she thought they were taking her. This was the last thing she ever wanted for her life.

"Can't we wait and decide when I'm eighteen?"

If she could make it that far then she would be free.

"Don't be ridiculous," her mother said.

"You need to grab these opportunities when they arise," her father said.

"What on earth are you going to do when you're eighteen when you can be settled here?" her mother said.

"College?"

She barely whispered the word.

"Nonsense. Your brother, Beryl, has already been to college. He's happily married, and we already have a grandbaby."

Her mother scrunched her shoulders and smiled as if she was admiring her grandbaby.

"Such a precious little boy."

"You have everything you ever wanted," her father said to her mother.

Natalia thought the smile plastered on his face seemed a little forced.