1 : a hit and run

╰─▗ ▘➤𖥸 chapter one
                                where brooke gets hit
in the head by
logan's bag.

Brooke Montgomery-Serrano walked into the Yale newsroom with her head held high as she pretended to not hear Doyle. 2 minutes into her plan, Doyle's voice reached a volume so loud that she had no other choice but to acknowledge him, she couldn't let her peers go deaf because she strongly disliked dealing with Doyle in the morning.

"Do yourself a favour and don't become an actress, you were basically mocking me for 2 minutes straight," Doyle complained. He placed his hands on Brooke's desk and gave her his best intimidating look.

Brooke rose her brow at her editor. "You look constipated, Doyle."

"You always know how to cheer me up, Montgomery. Moving on, I need your help."

Brooke wasn't surprised. She was currently in her second year, and since her first, Doyle always needed one of two things from her: articles or help. At this point, several people nicknamed her Doyle's personal assistant. "Tell me something new." Brooke's voice was bored, she just wanted to get ahead on the assignment she had been assigned yesterday.

Doyle narrowed his eyes at Brooke. "Gilmore keeps badgering me on a piece she wants to do. Considering your relationship with her, you're the only person who could talk her out of it."

Brooke leaned forward and brushed her thick hair out of her face. "Do you think we're together? Because everyone here thinks we hooked up, which we didn't."

Doyle scrunched up his face in confusion. "What, no. Wait, are you sure?"

"Yes, Doyle. What do I get out of this?"

"Nothing, now go."

"The things I do for you, Doyle." Brooke rose from her seat ready to tackle her new mission.

"I'm your editor, you have to do things for me," Doyle called out to his protegee as she walked out of the newsroom.

Brooke headed to her dorm, where Rory also resided. Rory had likened them to her mom and her best friend Sookie. The two had met the previous year at the huge party Rory and her mom had hosted the first night. Lorelai took a liking to Brooke and pushed the two to get to know each other better. It seemed that Lorelai had an eye for those things because Brooke and Rory have been thick as thieves ever since.

Brooke plopped down next to Rory on their couch, which was currently being used by the Gilmore as a study place. "Ror, why did Doyle ask me to talk you out of doing a piece?"

Rory's face lit up at the mention of the piece she was currently gathering information for. "A secret society."

"You got recruited into one?" Brooke guessed, waiting for more elaboration from her best friend.

"What, no. The Life and Death Brigade." Rory held up a newspaper clipping in front of Brooke and pointed to the headline. "They're a secret society here at Yale and I want to write about them."

Brooke crossed her arms. "So, you're going to join a secret society."

Rory exhaled and placed the newspaper down on the floor. "No, I'm not going to join any secret society."

Brooke shot Rory a quizzical look. "Well, then tell me how else you expect to get intel on a secret society?"

"Do you know Logan Huntzberger?"