THE AMULET

Jung kook POV

I slumped down in the cafeteria contemplating everything Joon told me.

Why is everyone so natural with life while it always feels to be going down the stream for me? I might as well have reached that state of mind where you begin to believe that your palm lines are playing the game of chess with your life.

I grew up in Busan, amidst the inception of roaring skylines and dwindling countryside. A carefree teenager with a mind full of life and nothing to lose. Starry nights, family dinners, nasty games, cheap dates, bleeding nose, free food, secret hangovers, midnight parties, sleep marathons, exam stress, trivial mischiefs, mom's lap, and dad's abrupt jokes; it all drifted away with a sudden blow of time.

I haven't talked to my family for months, have never been in any stable relation all my life; feels like I am screaming for attention but I don't want it. Now here I am struggling to keep myself from drowning in these lonely nights and distant desires; a constant hunt wherein I keep losing more of myself.

God, these thoughts again. I need some fresh air.

The cold breeze gently hits my face, sweeping the hair away from my forehead. I lay down observing the night sky, relaxing all the muscles of my body. This quiet mound is my hideout from the world when things seem to go overboard. It so feels like home. The sky is slowly growing cloudy. I have to reach home before it starts raining.

As I brushed myself up, my eyes averted to something glittery sedimented within the depth of the grass. Instantly I felt my curiosity pulling me to it.

I picked it up and twirled it in between my fingers. An elegant amulet with a compass pattern integrated to a gemstone at the center, sparkling gently in the moonlight. Beautiful.

"Oh, it has to be."

So startled to hear the unfamiliar sound I stumbled back, without realizing I stood at the far end of the hillock. A stroke of wind is all that was needed to topple my world upside down.

Guess what?

Checkmate.

All I can remember was seeing a radiant silhouette, reaching out her hand to me before the darkness encompassed me.