Phone Calls? At This Hour?

"Warehouse on Dire Street?" repeated Evah over the phone "Yeah, I think I know which one your talking about."

"Good," Nina said "Do you think you can give me directions while I drive over there?"

"Wait, you're going over there now?? Don't you need backup or something? What if there's some tougher skalengecks or worse! You could be walking right into a trap."

"It's nice to hear your concern for my safety after all I've accused you for these past few days, but there's a little girl out there that needs my help and a family desperately worried for her," Nina replied as she got into her car "The girl is Dip's age. Wouldn't you do the same."

There was a moment of silence on the other end. Eventually Evah sighed which could only mean she agreed.

"Okay, look. Give me a few hours to catch some sleep. You get something of Cindy's for me to sniff and I'll meet you at the warehouse at 8am. Sun will be up by then," Evah said.

Nina hesitated for a moment, but it seemed to be her best bet for backup in this situation. "Okay," she said. Nina looked over at the time confused.

"Why are you still awake at 3am?" she asked. She could still hear sounds of people laughing through the phone.

"I have brothers," Evah grumbled "I don't sleep until they sleep. And sometimes, that means I don't sleep, period."

"Brothers? As in plural? I thought it was just you and Dip?"

"Oh no," she said "I have plenty more to start my own volleyball team. I don't even know who's still awake and who's not."

Nina let out a little laugh. "Well, I won't hold you out of your sleep. I'll see you at 8. Or in a few hours at least."

Evah let out a little sound of agreement, but Nina had to add something before she hung up.

"And Evah?"

"Hmm?"

"Thank you."

***

Nina returned to her apartment with the intention to fall straight into her bed and to sleep, but she felt that she owed Barry a call to tell him she was alright. Barry picked up on the first ring with a worried tone.

"Hello?? Nina?" he asked.

"Yes Barry, it's me," she answered. She could hear him sigh in relief through the phone.

"Geez, think you could've called earlier. I practically packed up and hurried over to 4th street to make sure I could call the other police to help with your body," he said.

"Sorry, but I finished business there a while ago. I just called to tell you that I am safely back in my apartment and that there's nothing for you to worry about."

"Apartment huh?" he asked playfully "Mind if I sleepover? I could give you a tour of something else besides the town."

Nina scrunched her face in disgust. Before she could retort his disgusting comment, Barry was laughing through the phone.

"Ah, from the silence it sounded like you thought I was serious. Sorry to disappoint Nina, but I'm not really that type of guy," he said.

Nina breathed relieved that it was a joke. "Ha ha. You got me. Hey, I have to be awake in a few hours so I'm going to go. Thanks for your help Barry."

"Any time, Detective." She could tell he was smiling when he said that and she couldn't help but smile too.

"Goodnight Barry."

"Goodnight Nina."