New Beginings III

New Beginnings III: The Start of Something Sinister

Life in the manor was boring, Kokichi decided. Maybe it was because she couldn't fully walk yet, let alone get to be by herself most of the time. 

It has been a few months since she was born into this new world, and she did not know anything about it. The history, the location, or even the year. By the looks of things, Kokichi would have guessed that it is the late 1700s (or is it the current year in a different world? Their technology might just not be advance yet.) 

Currently, Kokichi sat down in her room "playing" with some toys. "Playing" as in just grabbing the toys with her small dwarf-like hands and throwing it across the room, making Mikan or Chihiro pick it up and giving it back (almost like a puppy, but more boring and less drooling.)

Kokichi inwardly groaned as she was in a state of feeling like dying out of boredom. Not too long ago, Kokichi gave in an attempt at crawling and succeeded (with a few trial and error but that's not the point) All the maids and butlers made such a big deal about it (it was more of Mikan, Chihiro, and Kirumi while the others awkwardly went with it), and soon enough her parents came running in and asking the maids to have a celebration cake. A cake. Just for Kokichi crawling, (and let me remind you, it was huge.) 

It felt weird for Kokichi to be rewarded for everything that she does, intentionally or not.

In her past life, she never really gotten anything at all, no matter how high her grades were. Her parents never praised her, always trying to downgrade her in every way possible. No matter how high her grades were, it was never deemed "perfect" enough in their eyes. That's why she had stopped trying to meet up to their expectation with her low grades.

Her dad was always overseas, not really returning much for family get-togethers. The old man was practically a stranger to her. Not like Kokichi cared anyways.

Kokichi's mother, well, was a stern businesswoman the would always be working. If she wasn't, she'll be out with co-workers to a bar, drinking beer like her life depended on it and having huge hangovers the next day. Kokichi often saw with numerous men inside the house but did not question it. Besides, she had once threatened Kokichi with a broken wine bottle one night if she ever told her father.

I guess you could say it was just child neglect, and in some other ways, child abuse.

The only way Kokichi had gotten attention was when she would have been disrupting the class with her mockery and such. It was mostly negative energy. So it was a nice change of pace. Sorta.

"Oh no, is Kokichi hungry?" Mikan asked the other maid when she noticed the infant stopped throwing the toy.

"That couldn't be it, she just got fed not too long ago," Chihiro answered recalling back to that moment before asking, "Did she get changed?"

"I'm pretty sure she did," Mikan said back. Both the maids thought about it for a second, Chihiro giving a small chin rub before giving an audible 'aha!'

"What is it?" Mikan asked, curious by her small outburst.

"She could be bored," she suggested. Mikan nodded as she picked up the baby. Kokichi didn't put on the effort to get out of her grasp deciding to just stare at Mikan instead in a bored expression.

"How about a story?" Mikan suggested to Chihiro, turning her attention to the other maid while still carrying the baby in her hands.

"A story huh?" The smaller wonders as she stands up from her current spot in the rug and walks to the shelves to search for books. She rummaged through it for a moment, "I don't think we have any more stories to read to her." She called out in disappointment to Mikan.