Same place

Same Place, different people.
——
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I wear my crown of thorns and pull the knife out my chest.

—-

RRTS Headquarters: location, classified. November the eleventh, Wednesday 16:00

Fourteen hours ago I was in Tokyo, now I stood in front of the building that was home for many years, I hadn't been back those three years I had been issued as dead. I never thought I would be. The bland grey walls held too many memories for me. Ones that would only do me good to forget.
What once was home now held shelter to unfamiliar faces and a needless remodel of glass and steel. I took a deep breath as I walked through the automatic doors and made my way down the newly erected corridor to Asher's office. It was strange how well I still remembered this place, even with the erected walls and corridors, I knew what lay on the other side of the brushed steel automatic door that asked for verification. The control panel stared at me with blue pulsing light and I couldn't help but hesitate to press my palm into the clear gel. A single beam darted back and forth beneath the gel layer, scanning, measuring and taking record of each whirl on my fingers, every divot in my palm.
Finally, it opened.

——-

Asher Mahonin stood in front of his desk with his arms crossed over his chest and a stern expression on his face, He had gained more muscle since the last time I'd seen him. Still adorning the had the same crew cut and clean-shaven look. It was only fair to assume that he was partly Samoan or Hawaiian because of his olive coloured skin and extending tribal tattoos that crawled up his arms. But I never asked.

"Ash" I greeted him firmly and the automatic door sealed shut behind me as I stepped forward with hesitance in my step. His brown eyes settled on me with unsureness. Like he thought I'd disappear if he blinked.

But for me, I was relieved to be on a mission where I didn't have to use a whole other identity, I could be Commander Valkyrie Syn.
But Valkyrie Syn was complicated. She left behind friends with no answers. Left them to pick up the pieces. Two of those people belonged to RRTS unit 6. Two people, I didn't want to face.

Asher raised his eyebrow to the voice that had disturbed his silence, giving me an expression I would have to learn to adapt to. A stare I wouldn't shake anytime soon. He thought me dead, he saw the bullet wounds. I should be dead. His expression was that of seeing a ghost, unsure of why I was there, still so certain he had seen me die.

"I still didn't believe it when they told me...not until now..." His voice trailed off and he cleared his throat.

"First things first, it is Sarge to you. The second thing is where is your uniform?" He cocked his eyebrow at my appearance. I wasn't dressed to military standard.

"Well, Sarge... my tactical gear is riddled with bullet holes. I deemed it unfit" I snapped and stood my ground as he towered over me. I had gotten off a flight less than twenty minutes prior and this asshole thought I would stand before him in full armour.

"You better make time, you are a mar..." He hissed but halted halfway through his sentence when he noticed his mistake.

"Sergeant Kelly used to give that same speech..." I crossed my arms and looked up at his intimidating form with an unimpressed glare.

" And now he is a Master Sergeant...Compliance is an attribute we strive for", Sarge commented, backing toward his desk.

"It's nice to see you haven't changed" He spoke firmly, placing his well-protected phone in his back pocket. The macho facade was yet to scare me. He seemed to forget I had known him before he had his Sergeant rank when he was a soldier.