Chapter 9

~Ah yes: Chapter 9, in which we get to see Canada arrested for violating the Proper Amount of Maple Syrup Statute, which was established in 1978 at the Convention of Breakfast Foods and Other Assorted Condiments. No, he doesn't actually get arrested, but it should probably violate something somewhere.~

It was early in the morning, and Canada's family and I were having breakfast. I still felt kind of awkward just intruding into their life, but they seemed to have accepted me already. Canada (of course) was pouring an obscene amount of maple syrup on his pancakes. He nudged me.
    "Ukraine, you are severely undersyruping your pancakes. I mean, it's just so dry! How do you eat that?" I laughed.
    "At least I don't have to eat mine with a spoon," I joked. He rolled his eyes.
    "While you're staying here, I'll have to educate you on proper syrup use. Nobody comes in my house and undersyrups their pancakes."
"Alright, fine," I said. "Just let me enjoy this one day eating, not drinking, pancakes." He sighed and turned to France.
"So what are we doing today, Mom?"
"Oh, I figured you could help me with the yard work. The weeds have taken over, and it would take me a while to do it on my own."
"Alright, Mom," Canada sighed.
"Oh, um, I can help too!" I said, wanting to help out. I felt it would be pretty ungrateful not to help out, but France looked doubtful.
"Are you sure you're feeling up to it, dear?" she asked. "I wouldn't want to make your wrists feel worse," she added worriedly.
"No," I said, "I can help. Besides, I can always take breaks if I need them." France still looked doubtful.
"Alright," she said. "But don't do it if it hurts."

    After two hours, we were starting to make progress. Canada looked like he didn't like it, but despite the temperature, I loved it. It felt great to be outside after spending so long in the hospital. However, it was too warm for me to wear my hoodie, so I was wearing my tank top, exposing my red-tinged bandages. Somewhat unconsciously, I tried to hide them every time someone walked by on the sidewalk. Canada saw what I was doing and came over.
    "Rain," he said, "you really don't need to hide your bandages."
    "I guess," I said, "but... I guess I'm kind of self-conscious about them." He rubbed my shoulder.
    "Ukraine, you are beautiful no matter what, and don't let anyone tell you different."
    "Awwww," I said, smiling. "Thanks, I needed that." He gave me a big hug, and went back to his work. Canada was really the only country who could make me feel better like that, especially after such a dark time in my life.

    It was getting later in the afternoon, and even I had to admit that I was getting pretty tired. After ridding the front walk of weeds, I stood up and wiped the sweat from my face. My wrists had been hurting more and more later in the day, but it was only short bursts of pain that came and went quickly. I was rubbing the bandages when Canada came over. I saw that he was hiding something behind his back, but his face was concerned.
    "Are your wrists okay?" he said. Not wanting him to worry, I said that they were fine. He raised his eyebrow, but didn't press me. "Anyway," he said, "I made this for you." He took his hands out from behind his back, and in them he held a bunch of flowers, connected by a thin cord. "It's a flower crown," he said. "Want to try it on?" Before I took it, I decided to tease him.
    "So let me get this straight," I said. "While I was out here for who knows how long, sweating buckets, and generally being exhausted, you were making me a flower crown?" He stuttered, looking embarrassed. "It's okay," I said. I kissed his cheek. "I love it."

~Welp, there it is! The flower crown, the ubiquitous part of any UkrainexCanada fanfiction. I know it's so cliche, but it's SUCH A GOOD PLOT POINT for this story, and it'll actually play a somewhat large role in the future! Hope you enjoyed! And also yes Canada hates yard work.~

725 words