Kim Jisoo's Fried Microwave and the End of the World

The end of the world started when Kim Jisoo's microwave almost blew up her apartment.

I say almost because it did blow up a sizeable swathe of the kitchen and bathroom, but her bedroom was left untouched.

"Shoot shoot shoot shoot!" Jisoo knew she was in trouble, and rightly so—the kitchen was demolished with the kitchen island nowhere in sight. A large hole had been ripped in the wall, with a fresh breeze wafting in, raising goosebumps on Jisoo's arm.

The culprit in question meanwhile sat amongst the debris with its door hanging by a hinge and parts of its plastic parts melted into runny goo, which was cooling down as Jisoo warily tip-toed closer to inspect the damage and see what she could salvage. Dislodged wires spat out sparks, making her jump.

Irene the landlady was going to kill her.

She picked up the ruined microwave, wrinkling her nose at the smell of burning plastic. Mournfully, she spotted the remnants of her canned soup splattered all over the inside.

"It was my last can too....but what did I do wrong? Was I supposed to open up the lid or—oh, hello there."

A small black cat had entered the hole and hopped inside the kitchen, daintily picking its way across the rubble until it came to a stop right in front of Jisoo holding the busted microwave. The cat sat on its haunches and looked directly up at her. Jisoo had a moment to marvel at the cat's beautiful hazel eyes before it opened its mouth and spoke.

"We need to go Jisoo. The end of the world has begun."

Jisoo blinked. "Are you talking to me?"

"Yes."

"But you're a cat."

"That is factually incorrect. I am a human called Jennie who has the ability to turn into a cat.  I would say I am a Human Cat. How else could I have found you and climbed in through the hole you just made?"

"A shapeshifter? You guys are real?"

"We are wasting time," Jennie the Human Cat said, "and we need to hurry to stop the world from ending. We might already be late unless we get a move on. Bring the microwave and follow me."

"The...the microwave?" Jisoo repeated. She was still cradling it in her arms like a baby.

"Yes," Jennie said patiently. "I understand this is all a shock to you. I will do my best to explain as we go along but we really must be leaving. I don't want the world to end and I'm sure you don't want to as well?"

"I er...no. No, not at all," Jisoo agreed.

There was a lot she wanted to do with her life. She was twenty-seven, she was still floundering trying to decide on which path to steer her life and she had as yet to fall in love and date someone for longer than three weeks.

She didn't want the world to end before she got herself a girlfriend.

Jennie was swiftly making her way towards the front door and Jisoo lumbered after her as best as she could with the unwieldy apparatus in her arms, trailing wires. Some screws fell out as she walked.

"Why do we need the microwave? I should put it in a bag. And where are we going?"

"No time, no time, no time," Jennie said. Her tail swished from side to side in mild annoyance. She clicked her tongue. "We have already lost two minutes of precious time. Let's go."

"But—"

Jennie stood up on hind legs and easily opened the door. "You really should lock up sometimes Jisoo. It's not safe out there." Jisoo only nodded, taking the nagging from the cat in stride.