Surprises

When we got to my fathers home, I was taken aback by how different it was compared to my old home. The yard was neat and there were flowers in the flowerbeds, the driveway and the walls  had been pressure-washed, and the porch railings weren't falling apart. From seeing the outside of his home, or ...our home.., I started wondering how the inside would look. Will it match the outside, or will it be a wreck like my old home?

           The door was one of those fancy keyless entry door thingys, so he just punched the code in and we stepped inside. I gasped softly, staring at the enviroment I had just stepped into. The floors were clear amd clean, the walls aren't stained by anything, there aren't any dirty dishes in the sink, and..and he has a dog! I hadnt expected it tp look this nice, and I had never thought of my father as a dog person. He had always seemed like a bird or fish person. The dog looked like a german shephard, it was female, amd only looked to be one or two years old, three at the most.

             To think that he could keep a house this neat surprised me. Compared to how he lived when he was with my mum, this is amillion times different. "So..... where can I put my things...?" He looked at me blankly and said "Oh, um, your room is upstairs on the left." The only time i had ever been in an upstairs room was for schooling and for a sleepover once, so i wasnt sure how id like it.

               When i opened the door to my new room, i gasped. My room...it was perfect....every detail... from the computer with 3 monitors to the gaming sytems next to it. It was like...it had been tailored specifically for me....And if the room itself wasnt enough, a little gray kitten popped out from under the bed and ran towards me. "I am officially in love with this place."

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

               While i was unpacking my things, my father stepped into the room and, rather awkwardly, asked me if i liked my room. " Its amazing...but how....?" I was surprised he had known any of my interests, so i really wanted to know how . " Ever since your mother and i got divorced , i turned my life around. I started writing letters to your mother, which she rarely replied to, but occasionally she told me about your interests. So i made a room here which would be perfect for you in case you ever wished to come here..." His response surprised me...but it made me a little bit happier.

                So we spent hours talking about what he had done after he and my mother had gotten a divorce, and most of it surprised me.He hadnt had a steady relationship since the divorce, but aside from that, he had done well. He hadnt done drugs in months and hadnt excessively drank in a longer time than that. It felt like i wasn't talking to my father, but a long-lost friend. He was easy to listen and respond to,though, so it was okay.

                 "The only thing i regret about getting the divorce was that I didn't get custody of you.. Leaving you with that horrible woman, she only made everything worse. When i left, the only thing i thought about was getting away...from you...from her..But now i've come to regret it more and more. So..can we start over..? Can i be the father you deserve..?"

                   I nodded awkwardly at him. I didn't really know what to say, or what to do, so i leaned over and hugged him tightly. I knew that he probably needed one, whether he cared to admit it or not.

               "Even though you haven't been much of a father to me, you still are..and im proud of you for becoming so much better. I don't blame you for leaving like you did, i would have done the same thing . Still..." I started crying at this point, feeling all emotional like i did and whatnot " I'm glad we can start over, even if it is under these unfortunate circumstances cause by a series of such unfortunate events.."

                He leaned forward and hugged me. It wasn't an awkward hug, it was a hug that reminded you that it will be okay in the end. It took me 10 minutes to calm down, and he never let go...