Chapter 2

Chapter 2

        I walked up the snow covered front steps and put my key into the lock. I twisted the handle and opened the door. A wave of heat brushed my face and I walked in, closing the doors behind me. I smiled at the smell of fresh buns and holiday cookies.

        “Hey daddy,” I said but he was busy baking for supper so I went straight to my room and grabbed some clothes for a quick shower. I entered the kitchen and smiled at daddy.

        “So worked called and asked me to come in for a couple hours to help finish the last line-up. I won’t be gone long at all. I will make it in time to get sleep and wake up for the kids and your mother to arrive tomorrow morning,” Mom and daddy had split a long time ago and now mom just brought the kids for Christmas.

        “They called you in? They called you in on Christmas Eve?” I just walked into the bathroom, not even wanting to deal with this. I had a nice hot shower, getting rid of all the sweat I had expelled during my workout session today. I wrapped a towel around my head when I jumped out. I dried off and out my sweats and shirt on. I walked out into the kitchen and waited for dad to attack me with kindness like he usually did on days like this.

        “Drew, I am headed out. Supper is ready and in the oven so go on ahead and eat whenever you are ready too,” I heard his name echoing and headed to the source. He was tying up his work boots in the porch. I stared down at him, remembering the news and the forecast.

        “Tonight is a bad night for driving though daddy. Please just stay home. They can wait until after Christmas, can’t they? The roads are dangerous.” I gave daddy my most serious face, trying to make him stay home. The forecast for tonight had said there was a ninety percent chance of ice. “Don’t worry there Drew, I’ll be back by ten,” his smile was genuine and I believed him, but I was still scared…

        “Drew? C’mon, wake up please. Your knee is all sewn up and you’re going be fine,” I recognized the voice.  “Drew please just wake up,” I knew who it was I just couldn’t put a name or face to the voice. The dark threatened to grip me again. I fought, feeling a hand in mine but lost feeling.  The darkness was everything until I was finally out.

        I awoke to the feeling of a hand gripping mine tight. I tried moving a finger to show I was here but nothing happened. Don’t worry there Drew… I tried again, and waited for a response when I succeeded, but no one responded. I slowly opened my eyes. I was surrounded by cream covered walls and very bright florescent lights. I looked around and saw machines. I thought hard and realized I must have been in a hospital. I tried pushing myself up, but cried out in pain as my hand protested against me moving from my position. I heard some movement and I looked to my left to find a figure in a chair. I blinked hard trying to make my eyes adjust to the bright lights of the room.

        “U…” I opened my mouth but nothing came out, so I tried again, “U…” I frowned at the nameless figure that sat beside me. I saw darker hair, it wasn’t too long. I looked down at my hand instead. Seeing the figure’s fingers in mine jolted me to life. “Austin?” My voice was very hoarse and dry, cracking.

        “What?” the figure sat up and I saw his face. It was Ahren. I frowned at the thought that Austin had abandoned me here, alone. I pulled my hand away quickly as Ahren readjusted himself in his chair. He looked up at me, his eyes a mess of red and puffiness.

        “Finally you are awake. I was worried about you all last night. I couldn’t find you,” his voice was calm; there was no hint of him being frantic or anything. You are a lying bastard. I sat up a little and looked at him.