Chapter 5 : Call from an old friend

Edward was playing with the phone's wire, trying to relax.
-Hm yes who is it? Finally said a voice throught the phone, followed by a yawn,

-It's me, fullmetal. Hm well colonel , or whathever you are now, I had something really important to tell you.
Roy was worried, he just hoped that Edward didn't ended up in troubles again.
-Explain quickly Fullmetal, I have a lot of work to do ! He answered.
Actually before Edward's call, Roy was taking a nap in his office as usual.
-I... I don't really know where to start hm... But... Oh and Fuck ! I am going to marry Winry and that is all ! He ended up screaming to the phone.
The blond boy jumped when he heard loud sound throught the phone , like if something has been dropped on the floor.
-Hm... C-colonel? Are you alright..? He asked in a worried tone.

Roy was looking at the phone he just dropped on the floor. Did he really heard this ? Was he dreaming ? Was it an illusion due to the lack of sleep ?
It was terrifying to know that Edward would get married before him.
Actually Roy was in his 30's, but he never had a serious relationship to be honest.
He already had the compagny of a lady for the night , but that is all.
But it was because there was already someone in his heart.
Someone he would never be able to open his heart to, but actually, doesn't she already read him like an open book?
He heavily sighed and ended the call without even warning Edward.

-C-colonel?! Hey bastard you could have said something ! Yelled Edward as he was violently putting back the phone.
"Hm. But I still have to call Al...and it's the worst part to be honest..."
He took a deep breath and called his brother.
He was surprised when a way more cute voice answered ( Actually , Alphonse's voice was really really adorable, but this one was way more high pitched ).
-Hello ! How Can I help you ? It was May.
-Erm... Well I am sorry if I am Brothering you but I would like to talk to Al...
He shyly asked, as he was rubbing the back of his head, embarassed.
-Yes of course, let me call him !
May turned to face Alphonse :
-Alphonse-sama ! This is your brother !
Edward was finding this nickname that she gave to Al very dumb, it even annoyed him sometime.

Alphonse nodded and took the phone:
-Hello Ed ! How are you ? I am so happy to talk to you ! A call from you is such an unusual thing ahah.
Edward let out a soft giggle. Hearing his little brother's cheerful voice was warming his  Heart , almost making him forget about his stress.
-Well I am fine, and you ? How is Alkahestry going ?  He asked, praying that he wouldn't end up too far from the topic.
- It's okay! I am getting way better at it, thank to May to be honest. She is really a great teacher ! Explained Al, very happy to finally talk to his brother after a such long time. 
-Well that is great. By the way Al, I... I have something to tell you. Edward sounded way more dramatic than he should.
-Uh? It's nothing Bad I hope...?
-No no ! It's okay It's... A good news ? I believe ?
-Hm. Go ahead. Said Alphonse, suspicious. He was used that his brother was getting in trouble easily.
-Erm... How Can I tell you this ? (Edward rubbed the back of his head as he was getting more and more anxious.) It's just that.... It's a bit embarrassing... You know I came back at Resembool few days ago and...

Alphonse let out a cute sound of surprise:
-How are granny and Winry ?
-Hm good, they are fine don't worry.
But... About Winry... Answered Edward, trying clumsily to explain the situation to his little brother.
-Ed, if you got an argument with Winry you will have to deal with it on your own ! I won't always be there to fix all the stupid things you say! Alphonse was almost scolding him.
-W-what?! How dare you saying that my proposal was something stupid ?! Okay, okay maybe I brought alchemy into this and it was an error yes, but you should be happy for me and--
The ex-state alchemist cut himself off, realizing that he already said too much.

Alphonse stay silent a while, confused:
-A... Proposal?
-Erm no Al It's that, well It's just...
Edward was just making it worse.
-You mean....that you and Winry are getting married ?! For real?! Like... Wow !!!  I am so happy for you two !
-What?! Edward is getting married before me ?! Said May, already dreaming about marrying a certain person.
-Oh, oh oh! Who is getting married? The blond pipsqueak ? Said another familiar voice behind Alphonse. The owner of the voice took the phone from Al's hands.
Hello! It's been a while. This is really... Great that the two of us are getting married, but try to not ruin your wedding ahah !
-Ling. You were the last person I wanted to talk to today. Give the phone back to my brother! Edward began to yell at him.
-No way! Don't you want to talk to your old best friend more ? Oh and by the way which  cake there will be at the ceremony ? And about the meal--

Edward cut him off:
-Shut your fucking mouth. We are not best friend and we will never be... But erm, you can come to the wedding if you want...
-Not your best friend?! How dare you telling me that Ed... I am hurt ! Hm, as I Can see food is my only friend, again...
Complained Ling in a dramatic tone.
Edward ended the call without a warning.
He decided he has someone else to tell about  their wedding, but sadly he can't call them.
He sighed, and seeing that Winry was still in her workshop, he just left a note on the table and left the house.

He stood in front of two Tombstone, silent.
His throat was hurting as he wanted to speak.
He took a deep breath, and started :
- H-hey .. It's been a while uh? I have... Something really important to tell you today. In few month... Me and your daughter  are getting married. I... I promise that I will take care of her ! And I will do my best to not make her cry anymore ! And... I don't really know if I deserve her... Actually, I am a bit... Afraid. I hurted her feelings many time... And I even failed my proposal a second time...
Will she really be... Happy with me ? I love her more than anything, but... If she would feel happier with someone else, then I won't keep her for myself you know...
I.. don't really know if I Can be a good husband ( his eyes started to get wet, and his voice to crack ) I already have been a terrible brother for Al, a terrible son for mom and dad. I... I have been a disappointment. What if she suffer because of me and---

Edward as been cut off as a hand went on his mouth to make him silent.
-Ed, shut up. I will be the happiest wife if I am yours, okay? Said Winry in a reassuring tone. She knew that Edward was full of self doubt so when she found his note, she guessed that he was blaming himself again. So she decided to come to see him, and reassure him.
Winry's hand started to get wet, she quickly understood that her lover was crying.
Her Heart ached. She rarely saw Edward crying. Maybe never.
She softly left her hand falling to Edward's chest, and put the other one around his neck to hug him from behind.
-Everything is fine. You are an amazing person. I am sure that mom and dad would be happy for us, and same for your parents.
You will be an amazing husband, and I will be proud to be called Winry Elric.
She softly whispered in his ear.
Edward turned himself to face Winry and hugged her tighly, and  he was sobbing even more.
Winry rubbed his back and said:
-Let's go home, It's getting late.

------------------------------------------------------
Author's note:

Hey! It's been a while I am really sorry, I had a lot of personal issues and all. But I tried to write this chapter, but erm... I will feel like this is not that good.
Don't hesitate to tell me what you think about it in the comment ! <3