03. that's life

" ballerina, you must've seen her
dancing in the sand
and now she's in me, always with me
tiny dancer in my hand "

" ballerina, you must've seen her dancing in the sand and now she's in me, always with metiny dancer in my hand "

Lyon, France. August, 2014.

Sarah sighed, staring up at the ceiling, like she found herself doing most of the time. Even the hostess of the small hostel, Alexandra, wondered what was in her mind, even though she just started liking the kid.

Like a lightbulb just lit up on top of her head, the idea showed up. Ballet.
Along with the modernized Black Widow training, intensive hours came of ballet training within. And the petite blonde would be lying if she said she hated them.

Helping Alexandra clean up, Sarah shot the question casually "Do you think I could take ballet classes at the Opera?"

The woman in her early 50s stopped dead in her tracks "The Opera Ballet school?" She asked surprise to hear bold thoughts from the teen. "Do you have previous training?"

Sarah nodded casually, continuing to sweep the wooden floors. Costumers came and went in the past month, but she wasn't going anywhere. It was weird trying to explain to the hostess the simple reason she didn't have a home. Alexandra, in all kindness, set her up in a permanent room on the basement, still wanting to maintain clientele, letting her stay if she would help with the cleaning, cooking and do her own laundry, occasionally helping with organization around the house.

Of course, the woman suspected something was odd about the kid. Sometimes, she behaved like a machine. Staring into nothingness and the way her face twisted when she couldn't comprehend something and couldn't squeeze out a proper human reaction. Not to mention, her whole story was beyond sketchy and she had very little belongings. Though, the woman decided to respect all these sketchy things, more so when she had her own skeletons in the closet.

"Ten years of training" Sarah noted quietly, continuing to sweep. "Started at 3 years old"

"Then I'm taking you down there myself, missy!" The kind woman laughed, making the teen hand off a crooked smile.

"Auditions for the next school year are next week! Aren't you excited?" Alexandra peaked in from the kitchen, watching the girl eat some soup calmly, her face blank as a sheet of paper.

"I am" Sarah recognized, grabbing her notepad from nearby and scribbling on her "emotion log", adding 'excitement', 'nervousness' and 'anxiety' "I'm heading out to town tomorrow morning. I need an uniform and to sign up at the Opera" She spoke quietly, emotionless while writing away her agenda.

Sarah had to sit down with herself to make the decision if she should expose herself out like that. It took her at least 3 hours, just sitting there by the window, thinking about her current situation. Then she remembered no one knew her. No one. Only HYDRA agents that saw her face were her assigned caregivers and important members of the secret association, so these two options were either six feet under ground or about to be. She took a deep breath, relaxed and stood up to get some bread, making her final decision to leave everything behind and start a new life, not aware whatsoever that somewhere in Europe, her father, James Barnes, took the same decision.