15 | oh, how the tables have turned

"Can you tell me what happened?" Stefan asked in a calm tone.

"I, uh," she began looking around the hospital room in a haze.

“It’s okay,” Stefan encouraged, “Take your time.”

“Damon Salvatore,” she said and Damon’s head snapped toward her, “Damon Salvatore did this to me.”

“No, no, no,” Damon protested looking at his younger brother, “This time it was not me.”

Stefan turned back to the girl and asked another question, pointing at his brother, “Have you ever met this man.”

The girl looked up at him and tilted her head in thought, “No, I’ve never met him before.”

He let out a sigh, “Can you tell me exactly what happened?”

“Damon Salvatore did this.”

“She’s been compelled,” Damon established. “Three guesses by who.”

“Why though?” Stefan asked, rubbing his hand over his face. It had been a week since Evelyn turned off her humanity and everything was only getting more and more complicated. “What does it accomplish?”

“Who knows?” Damon sighed. “I’m sure it’s just a distraction from her actual plan. We can’t have the town finding out about us.”

“I’m aware,” Stefan said, shifting his gaze from the hospitalized girl to his brother, “Compel her to keep quiet.”

”What?” Damon asked. He had heard the request but found it odd coming from his brother ‘Saint Stefan.’

“Compel her,” he spoke again, clearly getting irritated. “Tell her to not tell anyone what she knows. If I do it, it won’t work.”

Damon narrowed his eyes before stepping forward, “Alright, I’ll do it.”

He took a seat where Stefan had previously sat and looked into the girls eyes and compelled her, “If anyone asks, you don’t remember being attacked. You woke up in the hospital having no idea how you got here or why you're here. Do you understand?”

“I understand,” she answered robotically.

“Now forget we were here and get some rest,” Damon said before patting her hand and walking out.

“Damon!” Stefan shouted after him.

“I don’t want to hear it little brother,” Damon brushed off before vamp speeding out of the empty hospital hallway with a whoosh.

"Wasn't that just, mm, what's the word..." I spoke, stepping out of the shadows, "Pathetic."

"Evelyn," Stefan greeted nonchalantly.

"Did you really think it would be that easy?" I tsked. "See, I knew you would show up and figure out who was at fault for the latest 'animal attack.' So of course I gave the girl vervain through her IV every day."

Stefan's face dropped and he looked back at the girls room.

"Come with me," I said with a sadistic smile, entering the hospital room. "You see, as we both know I have lots of experience with vampire douche bags. I've learned some things."

I made my way to the opposite side of the room and stood beside the girls bed. "Before giving her vervain, I compelled her to do as I say, just as Scott did with me."

I turned to face the girl in the bed who looked up at me, "Hey there, remember me?" She nodded enthusiastically and I smiled with satisfaction. "This man here is a friend of mine, Stefan Salvatore. He has a little issue with blood." The girl turned to Stefan with a small smile before facing me again.