Chapter 1 ❀ Hero in a Dog Suit

"I'll have the usual please. A chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream and a triple mocha frappuccino." You told the worker who was disguised as a big puppy, smiling at them warmly. You were currently sitting at one of the many tables that surrounded Otogi's cafe which was located in front of Domino City's central shopping mall. Waiters would usually take notes after hearing such a long order, but this certain employee already knew your choices like the back of their hand — or paw in this case — because of all the times that you had already made a stop at this plaza.

You came here a lot after school since both the desserts and sweet drinks they sold in this place were exceptionally delicious, and you so happened to be a lover of sweet things. So here you were today again, seated at your regular spot while the usual worker took your order. It definitely looked like the same person because they were always wearing a full body onesie of a Shiba Inu though you had no way of knowing for certain that the individual underneath the costume wouldn't change every day.

They nodded, making a cute gesture before heading back to the ice cream truck and passing on your order to the manager, Mr. Clown. While you waited for your snacks to come, you reached for your laptop and documents, pulling them out of your bag. There was a school presentation you needed to work on, and you would always take care of tasks like these at Otogi's cafe because the tranquility would make you feel at ease.

But the usual peacefulness wasn't going to reign over the plaza today. There was a suspicious person who seemed to be pressuring a child into doing something against their will. You would usually ignore things that didn't regard you, but you couldn't just look away when someone who appeared to be much older than you approached a kid who looked like your average middle schooler.

"Come on, kiddo. All you need to do is give me your wallet and that's that." The man wearing delinquent-y clothes smirked at the small girl maliciously, immediately causing tears to fill the latter's eyes. You looked around in attempt to locate the child's parent or any other adult, but of course they were nowhere to be seen when one needed them most.

And so, you decided to take matters into your own hands, closing your laptop while putting the important papers in it, so that they wouldn't be blown away by unexpected wind or through other methods. You stood up from your chair, quite annoyed that someone dared to interrupt your relaxation despite the fact that you had decided to act out of your own volition.

Regardless of the suspicious person being much taller than you and a male to boost, you laced your hand firmly on his shoulder and made him turn around, flashing a glare at him as soon as you were given the chance to. "Hello there, mister. Do you have any business with my little sister?" You lied, gaining the hooligan's complete attention, signaling to the girl to make a run for it now that you were distracting him.

"Well, well, the kid's actually got a babysitter, ey? No matter, the more the merrier, right?" You didn't know if you were supposed to understand the nonsense this delinquent was spouting, but what you did know was that you might have dug yourself your own grave by going up against someone who was at such a bigger physical advantage. You were made aware of that fact when the hooligan grabbed your wrist, squeezing it as if he were warning you that he would be capable of breaking it if needed.

The child had thankfully gotten away, or so you thought. Another man dressed in fairly similar flashy clothes had captured the girl before she was able to make a run for it, and was now technically holding her hostage if you were to put things dramatically. But with these guys in today's society, one could never know. "Two against one? Not to mention that you're holding a kid hostage while laying your hands on a woman. Talk about being cowards."

"Now, now, 'hostage' is a bit of a strong word, don't you think? Besides, it's your fault for getting involved, Big Sister." The man with pierced ears mocked, taking a firmer hold of your wrist while lifting it up a tad in order to make you glare upwards at his unsightly face. If he were to pull even a bit stronger, you were pretty sure that he would either rip your arm off or lift up your whole body in the air entirely, and neither of those options sounded too inviting.

"How about we settle the matter the old-fashioned way, with a Duel? Unless resorting to brute force is all you two meatheads know how to do." You spat out, smirking at the male despite your disadvantageous position both physically and if he were to agree to your proposal. Your provocations seemed to have come through to the delinquent given that he took the bait and gestured his accomplice to let go of the girl. "You want a Duel? And a Duel you'll get. But just so you know, you're gonna go up against the two of us at once, Ms. Strong and Independent."

"Is that supposed to be a challenge? I can defeat both of you with my eyes closed." Still feeling irritated about the fact that these two numbskulls had interrupted you while you were working on a school project, and not to mention waiting for your ice cream and triple mocha frappuccino, you decided to throw a few more insults the men's ways, almost making one of them regret having let go of your wrist.

Having freed yourself from the hooligan's strong grip, you put some distance between yourself and the two males while watching the girl from earlier reunite with her mother, while at the same time staying away from what had now been turned into a battle field. The red-haired delinquent with the pierced ears added another condition that was going to benefit no one else but him and his partner. "Oh and did I mention that if you lose, you gotta hand us all your money? That or you can get a beating for free."

"Pipe down, ya creeps! Ya got some nerve, assaultin' our customers. Whaddya mean 'a beatin'? don't even dare ta lay your filthy paws on a girl, scumbags!" Before you even had the chance to scramble a comeback to what the delinquent said, a male voice gained the attention of all three of you. When you turned around to check who the Brooklyn accent belonged to, your eyes landed on the waiter wearing the Shiba Inu costume. The two hooligans instantly felt the need to answer to the waiter's outburst and did so without holding back whatsoever. "Look who's talking about paws! Are you even allowed to be off the leash?"

"Grr, Imma make ya run wit' ya' tails between ya' legs, then we can see who da real dogs are." The young man wearing the canine costume was obviously irritated — which you would have been too if you were to have been in his shoes — and before you knew it, he had put on his Duel Disk and turned your way. "Ya won't mind if I help ya kick their keisters, will ya?"

"I'd rather have you preparing my triple mocha frappuccino to be honest, but how can I possibly refuse you now after being so gallant." You feigned slight overconfidence but smiled at the big puppy in the end, and you felt as if he was smirking at you in response beneath that mask as well. It was decided that you and the waiter would share 4000 Life Points while the two delinquents would do the same, and after simultaneously getting into positions, the Duel began.

"Let's Duel!"

----------------------------------------------------

My note to you:
Sooo— This was actually supposed to be a long oneshot of about 10'000 words, but I figured I could just split it up in a few parts and make a book out of it. xD

I hope you enjoy it! <3

Thank You for Reading!