Chapter VII

Guinness steps down of the chariot with a big smile on her lips. I’m glad everything went well for her because I didn’t have as much fun as she did. Mercury meets us with Pomeline.

            “Your outfits were absolutely splendid!” Pomeline tells us.

            Guinness says thank you but I just force a smile. Mercury eyes my expression and understands it. It’s incredible how, even if I don’t want to, I see a part of Pomeline in Guinness and a part of Mercury in me. I understood what she meant in the train. I didn’t want to tell Guinness but I did agree with Mercury. The Capitol is doing something wrong and the only way such a powerful place can go down is with a bigger strength. What better way than to reunite the Districts against it?

            “Mercury!”

            The four of us look over at the voice who called out. I’m intrigued to see who would want to talk to Mercury with such a personality. A girl walks towards us with the tributes of District 8. I’m guessing this must be their mentor and since Eight only had one winner so far, it must be the so famous Xenophondra. She looks older than she is. She was reaped at 15 which means she must be 16 by now. I glance at Pomeline who arranges the dress she put on in her honour.

            When she finally reaches us, a big silence wins over us. I’m feeling quite uneasy, standing next to Rupilia and Venture when I will have to kill them in a matter of days. There are questions I want to ask her but I don’t dare do this in front of Guinness. I want to know how it was to loose a fellow tribute, what we feel when we kill someone, if winning is really better then dying. Mercury will probably refuse to tell me these things because her goal is to make us win so we can join her little rebellion or that’s how it looks like. After so many years of looking at Guinness, I can recognize the forced smile Xenophondra is wearing.

            “I saw your games.” I say to break the ice. “What you did for the little boy you were reaped with was incredibly selfless.”

            She looks at me and that’s when I realize that one of her eye has a dash of light blue. It’s like a small spot of light in dark orbs. It’s fascinating. It takes a moment before she answers with words. I don’t need them to understand that she feels bad. Bad for not being selfless enough. She tried to save him during days that followed the bloodbath. He was heavily injured but she was able to keep him alive for a moment. The pain was driving him crazy so she used her medical knowledge to make it easier for him. She learned acupuncture with the needles Eight uses to create the Capitol’s clothes. They were supposed to be meant for killing since they have venom in them. She used the chemical to numb the boy up when he was in too much pain. She wasn’t able to save him though. He was ranked 17th. Fortunately enough for Xenophondra, most of the Careers have been taken care of by the incredible destructive nature of the arena. She battled the girl from District 4 for the victory and obviously came out as the victor. She has a little scar near the left side of her nose. I can’t believe I didn’t notice her eyes but I saw her tiny scar.

            “Thank you.” She still says.

            I feel myself nod and take a small step back. I wish I could escape this conversation. Having Mercury and Xenophondra near me might make me open my mouth. Pomeline clears her throat and catches everyone’s attention.

            “I think you looked beautiful during your parade. Your stylist agreed to make me this dress and, I must admit, we look the same.” She says.

            I’m not the only one that frowns at this. It really takes a citizen of the Capitol to say such stupid things. I also don’t mention how she does the same thing as they all do which is to concentrate on the beauty of the Games rather than seeing how destructive they are. Maybe I shouldn’t ask Xenophondra how it is to kill someone but the Capitol itself. It’s their fault after all.