3. Happy Valley

What followed next was a haze of images and snippets of conversation. Mark definitely remembers Sophie dragging him down the Mid-levels to the nearest tram stop, a remarkable feat because they were around 2 kilometers away, and both of them were stupid drunk and a little high at that point.

They were most probably talking at the tram (loudly, as a matter of fact), but Mark cannot really recall what they were talking about. Probably inane, nonsensical stuff, like why were the HK trams colored green, or that time they saw a half-naked European wearing a cupid outfit chasing a taxi in Wanchai, or how absolutely corny the Wanchai bars were to begin with. There may have been a barb or two about their relationship that was, but Mark really couldn't remember.

Mark knows they've been talking too much because they were surprised when the tram was already parking. They missed their stop.

"Ay shet, we missed our stop!" Sophie laughed.

"Weh, hindi nga! Hahahahahaha!" Mark looked around as they got down. "Nasan ba tayo?"

"Happy Valley." Sophie looked around. "Alam mo, hindi pala masyadong happy ang Happy Valley kapag gabi, no?"

"Nyek neyk. How long did you hold on to that joke before today?" Mark scoffed.

"Panget ka!" Sophie laughs as she hits him in the arm. "Kinda of a weird name for a place in Hong Kong though."

"I think that has something to do with the nearby cemeteries. Something about malaria and whatever. Ewan ko ba."

"Yikes," Sophie murmured. Then her eyes light up. "Sa tingin mo dito nakalibing si Bruce Lee? Tara puntahan natin yung sementeryo!"

"Gaga, wala si Bruce Lee dyan!" Mark added, "At gusto mo talagang pumunta sa sementeryo ng alas-dose? Kamusta ka naman?!?"

"Sigurado ka wala dyan si Bruce Lee, sigurado ka? Sige nga patunayan mo!"

It takes Mark exactly 30 seconds to pull up the information on his phone. "See?!? He's buried in Seattle!"

"Ay," Sophie pouted. "Kinda sad, no? Buried away from his real home."

"Malay mo naman," Mark replied. "Baka naman the US was his home, in his head."

Sophie shrugs.

+++

After fiddling with Google Maps, Mark and Sophie chart a course that will bring them back to Causeway Bay. They could have ridden the tram back, but they felt like walking by the side of the Happy Valley Racecourse.

"Did you ever go here? Sa Racecourse?" Sophie asked.

"Dito? Never." Mark shook his head. "Don't care for it, although grabe yung mga Honkies when it comes to horseracing."

"Exxag nga sila."

"I went to Hong Kong Stadium once, to watch the Sevens." Mark said while looking at the general area of the stadium.

"Uy, ba't hindi ko alam yan?" Sophie asked.

"We haven't met yet," Mark answered. "Dun kami sa Box Suite ng Lassiter. Free flowing food and beer. It was amazing! Umaga pa lang, lasing na kaming lahat!"

"So sinong nanalo nun?" Sophie asked.

"Aba malay ko, lasing ako eh." Mark and Sophie laughed. "Ikaw, did you ever go to the Sevens?"

"Actually, oo. Went with the idiots from the old reggae bar, tapos dun kami sa North Bank."

"SA NORTH BANK?!?" Mark was surprised. "Ang hardcore mo! I've always wanted to do the North Bank, pero I never got the chance!"

"ANG SAYA NYA, GRABE! Dyusko yung mga Europeans, ginagawang baso yung mga pitsel ng beer. Yung kalasingan ko, nag-transcend na to immortal levels. Tapos ang saya-saya kada naglalaro ang Australia!"

"Tangina, ang labo nun!" Mark said. "Parang tradisyon yata i-boo ang Australia sa Sevens!"

"Hahahahaha oo nga! Kawawa nga si Dwayne, yung kasama naming Australian. Katakot-takot na trash talk natitikman nya kada naglalaro ang Australia. Not that he cared hahahaha!"

"I can imagine! Naka-ilang Sevens ka?"

"Dyusko, isang beses lang!" Sophie exclaimed. "ANG MAHAL NG LAHAT. Wala naman akong pakelam sa Rugby, at kung lasingan lang naman ang habol ko, naku madaming bar sa Central. But I'm happy I went, at least once."

"Yeah, ako rin." Mark mused. "Although part of me still wants to experience the North Bank."

"I would have enjoyed it more if we were together." Sophie said, looking at Mark.

"I would have loved that." Mark looked back at Sophie. Sophie draws closer and holds on to his arm. Mark lets her. God, I missed this.

"You know, there's always next year..." Mark started.

"As if, Mark. As if." Sophie snapped back.