6. Wanchai

Wanchai. It just had to be Wanchai.

Sophie had a sudden burst of inspiration to go out and take pictures of the iconic neon signs, and since we only had about a few hours before the sun starts rising, we had to pick one place and stick with it, for better or for worse. Unfortunately, it had to be Wanchai.

"The neon signs are going the way of the dodo bird," Sophie started. "It's all LED nowadays, and while I get the practicality of it, ang iconic kaya nung neon signs. I should get some pictures before they vanish forever."

"I get it," Mark answered. "Ang ganda nga ng concept. Feeling ko magagamit mo sya for your art..."

"Tumpak!"

"But seriously, Wanchai?!? 

"AY OO NGA!!! WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!" Sophie laughed her lungs out! "Ano ba, wala nang nakakatanda sa 'yo doon sa tagal mong nawala! AND AS IF IKAW LANG ANG BUKOD TANGING NAGWAWALWAL SA HONG KONG WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

"Nakakaasar ka!" I moped.

"Promise, wala nang makakaalala na hinabol ka ng isang Mama-San at tatlong tranny sa gitna ng-

"ALALALALALALALALALA WALA AKONG NARIRINIG okay na ko suko na ko sige na game punta na tayo sa Wanchai sabi ko nga!!!"

+++

Sophie was right. Hong Kong was no longer awash with the neon signs that used to define its vibrant nightlife. Some of it still exists in little pockets in Wanchai though, and they found a cluster of them along Lockhart Road. Sophie pulled out a small camera, and started taking pictures.

Mark missed this boundless energy, that laugh that was too big for her body, that smile that made his day no matter how good or bad it was. Watching her at work now, capturing a fading essence of her adopted home, he let the wave of memories and emotions envelop him, take over his body and mind, leaving a bittersweet sensation for him to contend with.

"I hate this. The road's too dry," Sophie pouted. Mark then sees her run inside a convenience store to buy a liter of water. Sophie proceeds to pour it on the street.

"Instant puddle! Dramatic!"

Mark would be lying if he said he didn't hope to bump into Sophie during this trip. He would also be lying if he said he was looking forward to seeing here. And yet here he is, watching his ex-girlfriend take artsy pictures she can do artsy things with in the future. This had to happen, Mark thought. They needed this night.

He just wished he were man enough to arrange it in the first place, rather than to leave it to chance.

"Smile, Mark!" Sophie said, while taking his photo. "Shet ang pogi mo sa dilim!"

+++

"These photos are SIIIICK." Mark was looking through the photos Sophie took, and he was so impressed. "Ang ganda ng camera mo, ah."

"Excuse me, nasa kumukuha ng litrato yan. Pero oo nga, maganda nga camera ko." Sophie took her camera back and admired it. "Am trying out artistic photography kasi. There's this artist, Lee Beck I think, who staged a show last year, he did mixed media over his photos, and I absolutely loved it. As in love LOVE. It was also a nice direction to take. Anyway, maliit na investment lang naman 'to."

"I think you should go for it." Mark took the camera back, looked at more pictures. "There's so much you can do with these. Amazing."

"Yeah. Happy that I did this. Salamat, Mark."

"Wala naman akong ginawa ha."

"You're here. That's it. Yun lang." Sophie leans her head on Mark's shoulder.