7. Central

Mark stopped looking at his watch a long time ago, but judging that the sky was starting to lighten up, sunrise must be coming in a few minutes. He and Sophie were walking towards Central, hand in hand. Too spent to talk, too moved to speak.

They saw groups of Filipinos getting down buses, coming out of the MTR stations, heading to Central to conquer it as they do every Sunday. Sophie tells him of the time she helped staged a beauty pageant for the OFWs. Mark remarks he saw a film about that at the MMFF. It was all so poignant, when they take into account everything these women go through just to survive Hong Kong as Domestic Helpers. Hundreds of them, thousands of them, separated from their families sacrificing for the future.

They ran into a couple of women that have taken training courses with Sophie. Sophie always, always, remembered their names and asked about their families, while gently turning down their invitations to join them at their picnics, except for one group because one of them was celebrating her birthday.

"Naku, Ma'am! Ang gwapo naman ng asawa mo!" One of her former trainees said, making Mark blush. He's glad it was still a bit dark out, or he would never hear the end of it from Sophie.

Mark and Sophie made their way back to SoHo, all the way to the escalators, just as the sun was beginning to show.

"What time ba flight mo, Mark?"

"9:50am. Which means I have to be at the airport by 7:00am. Will probably skip the company bus and take the Airport Express na lang to save 30 minutes. Tapos, hindi pa ko nag-iimpake."

"Knowing you, kaya mong mag-impake in 10 minutes. Seven minutes for the facial products."

"HOY. FOUL. Tigilan mo ko!" Mark laughs. "Ikaw, anong sked mo ngayon?"

"Ngayon? Matutulog muna ako kasi hindi na tayo bata at imortal. Tapos mamaya pupuntahan ko yung isang grupo na nakasalubong natin sa baba, yung may birthday. Susunduin ko si Basti mamayang gabi."

"Nice sked."

"Di ba?" Sophie looks around. "Ayaw mong mag-almusal man lang?"

"Pass. Nasusuka pa ko, actually."

"Sure ka?" Sophie teased. "I know where to get the best beef noodles in the area. Gusto ko ng noodles."

Mark smiled. "Tap out na ko. This was so much fun though."

"Yeah, it was." Sophie said. "I haven't done this in years."

"Seryoso?"

"Oo. Pero alas-onse na rin kasi tayo nagkita kahapon, so..."

"Aray. Next year, aagahan ko na, promise."

"Next year?"

Mark stopped. He didn't realize he said "Next year" until he said it. He both meant to say it and not say it at the same time, if that even makes sense.

"Yeah, next year. Babalik ako. Gusto kong makilala si Basti."

Sophie stares at Mark, not exactly comprehending what Mark just said, but understanding every word of it. Mark and Sophie remain quiet for a moment before Sophie smiles widely. 

"Tamang-tama. Dalhin mo si Basti sa Disneyland hahaha! Hindi pa kami nakakapunta!"

"Weh, hindi nga?"

"Ang mahal eh! Hanggang Ocean Park lang budget ko!"

"Loka-loka." Mark pulls Sophie close and hugs her. "Thank you for last night. I will never forget it."

"Ako rin." Sophie snuggles to Mark just a bit tighter before pulling out of the embrace. "Sige na, baka mahuli ka pa sa airport."

"Okay. Bye Sophie."

"Bye Mark."

"See you next year."