Chapters 27 - 31

STAGE TWENTY SEVEN: A GHOST'S LULLABY

The airship hurriedly took off as soon as Freyja, Kirin and Alaric got off.

As the three of them explored the forests, Kirin sensed the tension in Freyja. She was definitely quieter than usual. He smirked, and walked behind her to hit the back of her knee. She comically fell down.

"What's with that!?" Freyja shouted.

"Nothing, you just look too tense." He said, ruffling her hair. "Stay like that and you'll lose your focus."

"Hey, look over there!" Alaric spotted something shining so brightly, about a few kilometers ahead of them. Immediately agreeing to go after it, the three of them dashed towards the mysterious orb of light. But, even before they could see what it is, they found themselves completely surrounded by groups of hundreds natives clad in animal skin and fur, with their faces painted thickly you can't tell them apart.

Kirin, Alaric and Freyja stood back to back, on guard. Even Astrid from inside the medallion readied himself for battle.

"I think we just trespassed into their territory." Kirin whispered. The tribesmen slowly walked towards them, their sharp spears pointed at them. But what is more surprising is that their spears are all aura-covered, and these people are most likely doing it without being conscious of aura manipulation techniques. A natural-gift. This explains their fierceness and power.

They are not welcome, that's obvious. Even so, Freyja can't just turn her back. Kirin can slaughter them all singlehandedly, but she didn't want unnecessary bloodshed. Before the fighting could begin, she stepped forward, trying to settle things diplomatically.

"Listen!" Freyja said in an audible voice, "We are not here to intrude! We are just looking for something, that's all!" She tried to explain, but as expected, was ignored. The natives charged at them all at once! Now, they have no other choice but to defend themselves and fight it out. Kirin summoned his aura blade fending a couple attacks at once. Alaric too, conjured a rune spear and fought. Freyja unsheathed her short sword out and ran a few meters away from them. She managed to knock one of them down. But, she couldn't find the strength to kill him. Her hands trembled, hesitating. The image of a bloody Ruis from the World Combat Championship haunted her all of a sudden.

While deliberating whether to stab the guy dead or not, a couple of arrows flew straight at her! Kirin and Alaric's hands were full, they couldn't get to her in time. Just as when they thought Freyja will be skewered, an aura-barrier appeared in front of her, deflecting the arrows. It was Astrid.

"Lenfiare, are you alright?" He asked from inside the medallion. "Yes, thank you Astrid." She sighed.

Surprisingly, upon seeing Freyja's white aura barrier, the tribesmen halted their attacks. They drew back, much to Kirin and Alaric's surprise. Then, they heard a loud roar from behind the wall of the tribesmen. They all got on their knees as a skinny old man, with long white hair and braided white beard slowly walked towards Freyja.

"We beg your forgiveness, daughter of the gods. Forgive our rudeness." The old man himself, kneeled before Freyja. He could speak their language, only with a distinctly strange accent. The natives began worshiping Freyja all of a sudden, calling her the 'daughter of the gods!'

"WAIT!" She shouted, "Can someone please tell me what's happening here?" She looked at her just as confused companions.

"I saw you in a vision last night. It was you, a girl of white skin, hair black as the night, eyes of earthen brown and white wings. It is you!" The old man introduced himself as the tribe's high priest and elder of the natives.