Chapter 43 - Epilogue

STAGE FORTY THREE: The Future that Lies Ahead

"The only way to stop him is to exhaust the power source. If the aura supply runs out, the barrier will weaken and we can break out. That would be a lot easier than going against Aneurin head on." Freyja explained.

"I'm not exactly sure what they're doing. But I'm sure they're going to perform a large-scale spell. And they need us both inside, Freyja." Kirin joined in.

"I don't think so." Alaric interrupted, "Ahrin was quite surprised to see Freyja back, so I'm sure it won't matter if she's here or not. The key ingredient is definitely you, Kirin. He even had Kristril's army to secure you." Kirin looked away, unable to counter.

"But I have to agree with Freyja. If you guys are correct about having a celestial guardian in the manor, then Freyja is the one and only person here who can track it. Correct?" Keon said, looking at the girl. "I'll do it."

Even before they could finish planning, aura-covered arrows started raining from above. Alaric conjured a barrier, but the arrows pierced through it as if there was no barrier at all. Kirin took Freyja in his arms as he, Alaric and Keon jumped to the nearby trees for cover. The rune beast disappeared, masking their presence.

They can't hide forever. Kirin jumped out of hiding and started striking the surrounding soldiers one by one. Despite his skill however, the numbers kept on increasing and surprisingly, the minions started to emit same type of dark aura as his. Kirin was taken aback.

"Since when-"

"They are test subjects, you dolt." Keon joined, "Father has been playing with your aura samples, implanting them to humans, don't you know?"

"I know, but I never expected the research to go this far. That bastard!" Kirin cursed and cursed as he continued to strike them all down.

Keon and Kirin fought back-to-back, but the numbers kept on increasing its driving them crazy. After beating two, four would come. After taking down five, there will be ten of them before you know it. "At this rate, we'll be drained without even reaching Aneurin!" Freyja bit her lip. Looking at Alaric it doesn't seem he has recovered his aura yet, after fighting Ahrin. Freyja was about to summon Astrid, when Keon puller her hand back. "Don't."

"But..."

"Go on. I'll take care of them."

"WHAT ARE YOU SAYING!?" Freyja exclaimed, "We can't leave you by yourself." Keon sighed. "Are you worried about me then?" He asked, punching an Aethelmaer soldier in the face. "Of course!" She drew her short sword and hit another enemy soldier.

Freyja was feeling bad about Keon's plan. For some reason, she felt that if they leave him there, they'll never see him again. "You're crazy."

Keon killed a couple more enemy minions before facing her. Leaning to her ear, he whispered. "Thank you, Freyja." And then, he pushed her rather forcefully, towards Kirin.

With just one look, Kirin understood what Keon wanted. Kirin grabbed Freyja, carried her, and dashed away from Keon. Alaric conjured one last thunderbolt spell to help Keon, and followed the two.

"Kirin, put me down! We can't just leave him there!" Freyja shouted and resisted, she could only watch countless Aethelmaer soldiers attack Keon. Kirin's held her tighter, and ran faster.

~ o 0 o ~

To their surprise, there wasn't a single soldier guarding the main house' gates. Afraid this could be a trap, the three of them entered with utmost caution. When they are finally back inside, there was not a single soul in the mansion. No soldiers, no servants, nothing EXCEPT for a strange presence from underneath the mansion. "Freyja?" Kirin noticed she's turned pale all of a sudden.