Chapter Five

This is probably what should have been the 30th anniversary edition! All characters belong to BBC.  I do not profit anything from this story except other peoples joy.  Please tell me what are your favourite bits and some suggestions... I may need them!

Chapter Five

Somewhere In London

Luke was becoming weary by now.  Weary and wet! Red rain?  Luke felt it trickle down his back.  Some dripped from his nose and landed on the white fabric peeping out of the slits of his trousers and jacket.  Not one single soul in this city had seen Nancy.  Luke despaired.  Nancy was his first and only love.  Last time, when she fought for him against The Master, Luke knew then that there could be no one else.

So she turned into a homofeline once in awhile, there was no harm in that.  According to her mother all sorts of things existed in harmony together.  Besides, she was human most of the time.  And she had not turned into a cat for a year now.  

Tavern after tavern.  Stall after stall.  Shop after rickety shop.  Tramps down dark alleys.  The crowd milling round.  Luke had described her to so many people that he was sure SOMEONE would have passed the information on to someone else and thence onwards to person C.  

Luke felt his throat go dry and wound up in possibly the hundredth tavern in this city in search of a drink and a last ditch attempt at information.  Luke had to ask for beer he supposed.  An inn like this would not take kindly to serving water.  

“Beer!” Luke exclaimed trying his swagger and throwing the bag of coins on the ledge.

“Certainly, sir!” the innkeeper said rubbing his hands with glee.  This was such a naive looking young knave!  “Anything you want, sir!”

Luke stared round at the wooden structure.  Low beams that could knock you out if you weren’t careful.  A whole pig rolling on a spit in a huge fire at the end of the room.  Barring a few candles it was the only light in this murky establishment. Men huddled into their dark corners nursing their own beer.  Worthless.  

Some were in a Guard’s uniform. Luke arched an eyebrow.  The landlord was about to take the bag but Luke stopped the innkeeper by laying his hand on the wrist.  

“Take what is rightfully yours,” Luke glowered at the innkeeper, “I shall know if I am shortchanged!”

Others in the Inn stared up.  This boy may have looked innocent but they suddenly found a glint of wisdom in his eyes.  Somehow he appeared older than he actually was.

The innkeeper nodded again suddenly realising he had misjudged this young man.  He took what was needed and gave the rest back to his customer.  Luke glugged some down.  It tasted awful but he was a good actor and managed to pretend he enjoyed it.

“Now!” he snapped.  “You, Guard, standing by the wench!” Luke enjoyed saying that.  His mother had taught him what to say in certain eras.  Maybe she knew one day he would be travelling with The Doctor.  The Guard looked up.  Luke tutted at the sight of blood shot eyes.  Already he had more than his fill of grog.  “You work in the tower?”

The Guard leered.  “I might!” he staggered forward and then belched.  “Why d’ya want to know?”

“I am enquiring after my bride that was rudely snatched from me without so much as an explanation,” Luke said keeping his tone authoritative.  Luke walked forward holding a big round coin in front of the Guard’s eyes.  “This could be yours if you cooperate!” the Guard reached out to snatch it.  Luke pulled it back.  “Information first!” he exclaimed.  

The Guard kept his eyes on the coin.  Lips hanging.  The Guard’s skin dripping with sweat.  Luke was put in mind of a dog panting for water after a long walk on a hot day.