QUANTA

Prompt #3 Dedicated to ate Kimmie_66

where memories can be bought and sold, a young woman accidentally purchases someone else's darkest secrets.

◯ ☽ ◑ ● ◐ ❨ ◯

SUMMARY

Sentra is a young girl yearning for her mother's love-a love she has never known. Her mother, a cruel and neglectful woman, shows no regard for her children. Instead, she indulges in reckless behaviors she views as normal: becoming pregnant by different men and drinking heavily during each pregnancy. Consequently, all of Sentra's siblings, including herself, suffer from disabilities. Sentra lives with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD), the consequence of her mother's choices.

Tired of her existence in a world that seems to have abandoned her, Sentra longs to disappear. One day, she stumbles upon a mysterious shop where memories can be bought and sold. Strangely, she is certain the shop wasn't there the day before. Inside, she discovers memories infused with advanced technology, offering a glimpse of a brighter, more promising future-one she could only dream of. Desperate for solace and intrigued by technology, Sentra buys a memory of futuristic journeys filled with innovation and wonder. Maybe, just maybe, Sentra can forget the pain of her world and find something better within those vivid illusions.

◯ ☽ ◑ ● ◐ ❨ ◯

MONTHSTEARFOOL

September 2024 Writing Challenge

Category: Sci-fi
Language: English
Word count: 999
Completed: September 30, 2024