Chapter 9

" Parker started the fire?" i say to confirm that i didn't mishear.

"Yes, Parker Adams started the fire, why? Do you know him?"

Guess i'm really bad at judging someones character, i was starting to think that someone who killed my best friend and her parents was NICE. What's wrong with me?

"Actually i do", i tell her through gritted teeth," he's my next door neighbor who moved here recently that i hung out with a couple times and who i thought was a nice person."

"When you guys hung out, what did you do, where did you  go, and what did you talk about?"

" We went on a trail ride to the beach the day of the barn fire and talked about going for another one or going out for lunch or coffee and one day when i talked to him he said that they had moved here from Oregon because his mom wanted to move and they had family nearby."

" Well that was a lie, his family moved here from Colorado because they were running from the police. He robbed a jewelry store and refused to pay the fine so he just moved. He didn't even buy the property he lives on, and his family is not renting it. I don't know it came into their possession but i doubt it was legal."

" What about his horses? Where are they going to go ?"

" Horses? I never knew that the Adams had horses before. We haven't gotten any complaints of horse theft anywhere near places that he's gone so they must have bought them legitimately. In that case we will probably auction them off. Funny, someone who steals everything they own buys horses instead of stealing them too."

" Miss, what if me and my mom took the horses? We run a horse rescue"

" i'm afraid that would get complicated and there would be more paperwork for me to do. I hate doing paperwork. If you want them then you'll have to go to the auction. Now if you'll excuse me, my lunch break is starting and i'm hungry, have nice day."

Then she just walks out the door leaving me alone in her office. 

Rude much? I didn't even know that officers could do that, just walk out in the middle of a conversation just because their hungry.

 Oh well, i was probably go back out pretty soon anyway.

I open the door and see my mother standing there.

"You all done?" she asks 

"Yea", i respond, " why?"

" Well, we have to meet with someone about Grace and Michael's will. They had originally left pretty much everything to Maya, but now it's a lot more complicated. As of right now it looks like we'll be getting the horses and a little bit of money, the rest is going to their family."

" oh yea, mom, while we're talking about horses the cops are going to auction off the Adam's horses. Do you think we can go to the auction? i don't want their horses to go to a bad home or end up on a meat truck. It's not there fault that there owners committed a crime."

" Harper, we have a lot going on and we are already taking on Grace and Michael's horses, and we already have 21 horses."

"Please? You should have seen Parker's mare. You would love her."

" How about this, we will go over tonight and check out their horses and i will consider going to the auction. AND i have to sell shark, moose, and checkers anyway which is why i'm considering this."

" Thanks mom." i say and give her a hug.

" now c'mon, we're gonna be late."

~~~~~~~~~