01| Unfortunate Circumstances

Blue eyes glinting with masked fury, blonde hair and brown skin glowing under the glare of the beautiful sun, dressed in an elegant royal blue robe that complemented her eyes and accompanied by a horde of servants, Princess Kafui entered the throne room where the other women were seated.

Women. They were all she'd known her whole life, and she wished it could stay that way.

She sat at her place in the throne room, right next to her mother. The room shone with luxury that their ancestors could only dream of. Sparkling gems, new to their world and many others more adorned the walls, thrones and even the fabrics that they wore.

Princess Kafui's blue eyes darted around, finding that everyone was present, which meant that the meeting that haunted her dreams at night would finally commence.

The queen rose, servants rushing to stand behind her. Her long green gown shone like an emerald itself, complementing her dark skin. Her blue eyes scanned the room, eyes just like Kafui's, just more malicious and filled with so much hate.

"I believe that you're all aware of why we're gathered here today?" she asked, her voice befitting her title.

There was a simultaneous low hum from the women around the throne room.

Kafui had always appreciated the diversity her kingdom possessed. The women were of different skin tones, hair colours and eye colours. The exotic features didn't seem to be limited to race, for even though the royal family ranged from dark brown to brown skin tones, they possessed features such as blonde hair and blue and hazel eyes.

Every one of those colourful women knew why the meeting was taking place, but the queen still went ahead to tell them why.

"Many years ago, with the help of Mother Nature, the sexes divided. Returning to our more natural ways of life and giving Mother Nature the honour She deserves, we have shown prosperity beyond our wildest dreams. Peace, unity, everything our ancestors dreamed of. Our lifetimes have increased tremendously, but unfortunately, we are not immortal."

It was coming. Princess Kafui knew it. Her mother was about to announce what she'd dreaded most all her life.

"Two generations of women participated in the divide. The first generation - which I'm included in - has passed the natural age for childbirth, though you couldn't tell by our youthful appearances," she joked, drawing the laughter of the women. She waited for it to die out, then she continued. "It will take some time, but we will eventually return to Mother Nature. Then the same will happen for the second generation, and humanity will be wiped out once and for all."

The other women began to mumble among themselves. They probably knew about the problem they faced, but they didn't know the solution the queen had come up with. Princess Kafui knew, and she didn't like it one bit.

"I consulted Mother Nature with the help of our Bridge," she said, gesturing to the woman next to Kafui.

The Bridge was the least attractive woman in the kingdom in Kafui's opinion. She'd done too much to resemble... nature itself. There were leaves growing out of her, something which Kafui had tried to understand all her life. Her top half was painted blue with some hints of white to signify the sky and the clouds in it. Her middle half was painted brown with trees and grass drawn all over her torso to signify land and vegetation. Her bottom half was dark brown and reddish, like a fiery kind of colour. It signified the ground beneath, and the earth's core.

The Bridge was the one who communicated with Mother Nature.

"There is only one way to save our kind," the queen paused, her eyes darting around the room for the dramatic effect. "We must reunite with men."