Return

Avery was busy slicing a fighting dummy to shreds with his sword. The aching in his chest had only gotten worse with time.

He longed to find her, just to see if she was safe. It had been a week since she disappeared, and it had been the longest time of his life.

A few days ago, he had woken up with a new pain. It was even worse than before, with a twinge of rejection.

He didn't understand, but the healer he had described the pain to told him of the likely cause.

Mia had had the chance to return and denied it. The bond was punishing them both for it, making Avery want to find her more than anything else.

To add on to the stress, Red had vanished days ago and hadn't returned. Avery hoped the hawk was okay, but it lingered on the edge of his mind.

He had also noticed the knife that Mia had left behind vanished from his room days ago. He didn't know how long it had been gone, but he was certain someone had taken it.

With a grunt, Avery tore his blade from the dummy and eyed the next one. He was covered with sweat from working for hours, trying to distract himself from the pain in his heart.

"Prince Avery!" Someone shouted. 

"Not now!" Avery grunted as he swung his sword. 

"But sir, a missive for you!"

"I'll check it later."

"For a man so desperately wanting his Soulmate, you sure are dull when we have news and you refuse to hear it," someone said dryly.

Avery spun around, seeing Alexander gesturing for him.

"What?" He snapped, his patience thin. "What about Mia?"

Alexander eyed the sword. "Put it away and I'll tell you."

Avery scowled, but tapped the hilt. The sword shrunk and melded into the family ring that he put on his finger.

"What is it?" He asked impatiently, jogging to catch his brother who had turned down the hall and was walking quickly.

All he said was, "We found her."

Avery didn't listen to anything else. He took off, leaving Alexander behind as he charged down the halls, toward where he felt the Soulbond pulling him.

He prayed that he was right, that Mia was back. Safe and unharmed.

He would owe the gods a massive debt if she was safe.

Avery skidded to a stop at the crowd of people. The bond was pulling him to the center of the mass, to the small figure cowering away.

"Mia!" He rushed forward, and the crowd parted easily. 

There she was. She was cowered, eyes shut tightly. She looked absolutely terrified.

She turned toward his voice, and he had her then, wrapped tightly in his arms. He could feel her shaking violently.

Avery tightened his hold around her, his nose buried in her hair. Her scent of freshly baked brownies entered his senses, and he finally felt the tension in his chest loosen.

"Leave." A powerful voice commanded. All of the spectators of maids, guards, and others vanished out of the room as King Theodore stepped forward, seeing the girl clutched to Avery's chest.

Avery paid them no mind as he leaned back, taking her face in her hands. He scanned her features, and she kept her eyes closed tightly.

"Are you alright?" He asked her quietly, brushing hair back from her forehead.

Mia bit her lip and shook her head. 

She had gotten thin, and her cheeks were a bit pale and sunken. She still shook in his arms.

Her eyes were still closed. Avery wished to see the caramel color, and murmured quietly, "Will you open your eyes?"

She shook her head again.

Avery glanced up at his mother and father. His brothers had vacated as soon as their father commanded it.

"Send a healer to my room, please," he requested. His father nodded.

And with that, Avery stooped and swept her up against his chest. She inhaled in shock, but allowed him to carry her toward his room.

---

Mia heard Avery close the door gently. He set her on her feet, but his hands trapped her against it. Mia stiffened slightly.

"Relax," he murmured. "I'm merely reminding myself that you're really here." She felt him bury his head into the crook of her neck, and slowly relaxing. Her own body melted slightly, but goosebumps spread as his breath ghosted her neck.

She had to admit, as soon as she heard him and felt him touch her, the pain in her chest had lessened. It still twinged slightly, and she was still blind, but it was already an improvement.

But that didn't mean she wasn't furious at being forced back to him.

Avery remained where he was, keeping her against the door as he calmed down. With each passing second, Mia was relaxing too.

Finally, he pulled back and she felt him cup her face with both hands. His thumbs caressed her cheeks.

"Why will you not open your eyes?" He asked her softly.

Mia bit her cheek, feeling a twinge of shame. She had no idea why, but felt bad about her own lack of sight.

Avery noticed her reluctance. "Is something wrong? Are you hurt?"

She shook her head, clenched her fists, and opened her eyes. Her sight didn't change, still dark, but she heard Avery take in a sharp breath.

His hands moved away from her cheeks, and his fingertips gently brushed the corners of her eyes. She flinched, since she hadn't known it was coming.

"What happened?" He asked lowly. "Can you see anything?"

"No," she whispered. "I woke and couldn't see. That's all I know."

They were both startled by the sound of someone knocking on the door. Avery seemed disgruntled, but gently pulled her away from it so he could answer to the healer.