Learn to be Strong

I spent my evening searching for more things. I found a red pin, a number 2 pencil, a pink eraser, a copper coin, and a sewing needle from a hotel sewing kit. I set them on my nightstand and went to bed. Or tried to. I felt nervous still, that horrible feeling that ruins my sleep. But I had to go to sleep. I had to go to work.

The morning was quick as I fell into the same routine. Except for this time I put all my new trinkets in my pocket before I left. When I got there I was anticipating something new or different but nothing had happened. Everything was the same. I nervously brought the items to Dr. Foster. They seemed the same. They took them silently and left his office to the lab. I decided to ignore him and move on then. I opened all the doors and let everyone walk out, grabbing Pen from his room. I left the others to go to their room on their own as I took Pen to his own room. On today's agenda was simple, the first day of learning for Snowball and walking and talking for Pen. So I started helping Pen.

It was quite an easy process to teach them talking, they caught on so fast. Pens voice got slightly deeper too. So I guess my shock about Snowball was just because it was a scratchy voice, compared to a deeper voice like Golfball and Tennis Ball. So maybe I overreacted. Walking went great as well. Taught him, did the test, cheered on his great work. He was happily enjoying himself.

"So now I'll bring you to the others, but I'll have to take one later for learning!" I explained before leading him to the room. After he went into the room I ran to my office and grabbed food for them all. When I opened the door they luckily weren't doing any stacking game with themselves like last time so I just gave them the food and left. They all seemed to be getting along well. After they finished I'd grab Snowball and bring him to learn and such. Right before I entered my office I caught something in the corner of my eye. A tv. Fosters tv in fact. It hung on the wall and displayed... them. The subjects. Their room. He's been watching them? Did I not notice, or did he just start? I hope he isn't too hard on them. I went to my office and tried to find a page on special circumstance training but seemed to find nothing. Seems Fosters thinking out of the box. I don't like that. It's been a small while and I have to assume they're done. They eat quite fast. I opened the emergency door. They had been running around and immediately stopped to face me.

"Hey, Doc!" Golfball greeted me happily.

"Hey you guys, I need to grab Snowball for some learning time, you guys have fun!" I said letting Snowball leave the room and closing the door. Snowball settled himself down on the floor and fumbled with his hands nervously.

"Dr. Xavier?" His voice was deeper again. Weird. I kneeled down to his level.

"Is something wrong?"

"I don't want to do that training stuff." I thought for a moment. One of the others must have heard or read about it or something.

"I know it's different but you have to. I don't have a choice Snowball." He looked down nervously. I pet his head.

"It's alright buddy, I'm sure it won't be too bad." He looked up at me and smiled and we began working. It went as well as it could of, even if Snowball seemed tense. It seemed he remembered trauma from his first days. And since I'm nice and he saw when Golfball freaked out about Foster, he must assume Foster was the one who put the chip in. And I wasn't going to correct him. I have to keep a good bond with them. He finished slower than the others, he struggled a lot with the material. I just hope he gets better at this. As I walked him back to his room, the sound of footsteps stopped me.

"I'll take him now for the time being." Dr. Foster said calmly from behind me. I looked down at Snowball once more before picking him up and handing him Dr. Foster. It felt wrong. Swearing to protect them and then mindlessly giving him up to someone who doesn't care.