Villain: Redux - PT1 - CH6 Accidents Happen

Villain: Redux

Part I: Remote Control

Chapter 6 - Accidents Happen

The chilling darkness that surrounded Blossom had become all too familiar to her. The same nightmare continued to haunt the pink Powerpuff since that terrible day nearly three months ago. She sat up on the cold, dirt ground and quickly reached for a flashlight that sat beside her. The dreaming girl stood barefoot and in her pajamas as she switched on her flashlight. She turned and focused the light on her sister at the other end of the dark crystal cavern.

"So I won't have any powers for two hours?!" Buttercup shouted angrily before punching her fist hard against the rocky wall beside her. "FUCK!"

Blossom began to tremble sightly as she watched her dream sibling reenact the past for what had to be now the twentieth time. It had been a full two weeks since she last visited the hellish memory when she went to bed at night. Blossom had hoped she was finally done with the nightmare for good, but there she was again. She swallowed hard, and cautiously moved forward.

Buttercup held her hurt hand and glared at Blossom- the blame was already burning strong in her emerald eyes. That accusatory look was enough to break Blossom every time she was forced to relive it in her dreamscape. Her pink eyes swelled with tears almost instantly, "Your powers will come back," she spoke softly as she approached Buttercup. "Just... calm down."

"STOP TELLING ME TO CALM DOWN!"

Blossom threw her arms around her skinny sibling and held her tightly as she erupted into uncontrollable sobbing. Even though the nightmare was something that truly tormented her, she still could never resist smothering her dream sibling in a tight embrace every time she saw her. Despite the tomboy's always vicious mood, it was the old Buttercup again. Scowling and shouting, but it was her. Blossom buried her face against her sister's chest and wept as she squeezed her tight.

Buttercup clawed and fought against the embrace, but she was no match against Blossom's superhero strength. "Get the hell off of me!" she yelled, "I told you- I'm still mad at you!"

Buttercup's angry echo rang out throughout the cavern, but Blossom refused to let go. In one of her past visits to this same nightmare, she had let her sister go, and in an instant, she fell into a dark abyss that suddenly opened beneath them. Blossom's tears soaked through Buttercup's t-shirt, as she continued through sniffles, "We have to get going, Buttercup." She knew the Buttercup she embraced wasn't real, but Blossom was still determined to save her from her fate.

"How the hell am I supposed to go anywhere if I can't-"

Blossom scooped Buttercup up in her arms, and carried her quickly out of the crystal cave with a flash of pink light.

"Blossom, slow down!" Buttercup yelled.

But the underground tunnels were already beginning to tremble, and so Blossom only flew faster. As she carried her sister through the final tunnel of the mine, the rocky walls began to shake more violently as things began to cave in around them. Blossom cradled Buttercup against herself, carefully shielding her head from the falling debris of the collapsing mine, as she hastened her speed once more.