CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE: REVENGE

It was midnight, and Kevin sat outside Pittsburgh bar, drinking himself to stupor. He sat there to process all that Leonard had said to him; it was just too much information to take in. Just then, he painfully remembered Lena's body hanging from the ceiling.

He took a sip from the bottle of vodka which sat on the table before him— wincing as the fiery liquid found his tongue. After a moment, the thought of his earlier encounter with Leonard was erased momentarily from his memory, but that of Lena hanging from the ceiling lingered like a parasite that just wouldn't go away—devastating him even more.

Kevin blamed himself for their death; Lena, Mirabel, and Loretta. If he hadn't shown up in their lives, they'd still be alive. He woozily dropped the sixth vodka bottle, causing the rest on the table to rattle. "Another bottle, please!" he hooted to the shopkeeper.

The shopkeeper went in to get his order.

Kevin felt woozy as he stared at the empty bottles sitting on the table before him. Beads of sweat trickled down his forehead and his hands were shaking. Everything around whirled before his eyes. He thought he saw a masked figure standing in the dark corner—watching him. But then, he quickly brushed his fingers across his eyes and turned to look again. It was just a tree.

I really got to stop drinking, he snorted.

Soon, the shopkeeper arrived with the vodka and set it down on the table before him. Kevin's lips carved out a scornful smile as he handed a dollar note to him. After the shopkeeper took the money, he turned to leave but stopped. Turning to look at Kevin, his face lit with recognition. "Hey...aren't you the guy that got beaten up pretty badly the other day by Shady and his gang?"

Kevin bit his lower lip, not uttering a word.

"You really should get going cus it's getting pretty late. Shady's gang will likely show up soon, and you don't want to stick around when they do," the shopkeeper warned.

Kevin gazed at him, a giddy expression on his face. "Look —" He tossed an empty bottle at him. "I appreciate yooooouuu trying to look out for mmmeee — and all —" he slurred, pointing his shaky fingers at him. "Yooouuu reeeally need to mind your own business, okay?"

Seeing how wasted he was, he knew nothing he said would make any sense to him. The shopkeeper immediately left without a word. The road seemed dark and empty. And the only sound heard from a mile away was that of the wind howling in the trees. A stiff wind blew in his direction, slashing his face. Again, the gruesome image of Mirabel's disfigured body filled his conscience. It made him puke. He cleaned his mouth with a towel.

Kevin thought about Mrs Lena and how he couldn't save her. Suddenly, he felt a powerful rage, one he couldn't control, coursing through every nerve of his body. Veins popped out of his neck, and he swept the empty bottles sitting on the table, throwing them to the ground. He yowled as he turned the table over, breaking the bottles.

"Hey!" The shopkeeper rushed out and picked up the bottles. "Are you crazy?" he cried.

He heard Kevin laughing hysterically, and it puzzled him. The laughter intensified for a moment, and then he stopped. "It's all my fault!" he sniffled, the corners of his mouth quirking down.

"It's all my fault!" His voice was getting louder. Tears fell from his eyes, rolling painlessly down his face. "They would still be alive if I hadn't shown up in their lives."

The shopkeeper gazed at him, a perplexed look on his face. "Go home dude, you're wasted."

He picked up the last bottle from the ground and walked back into the store. He locked up the store, leaving Kevin to sit alone in the chilly waft of the night. Then all became still.