CHAPTER TWENTY SIX: DON'T DO THAT TO ME AGAIN

William went through the files Frank dropped on his desk. "I don't understand," he grunted with frustration. "These are the names of every member and officer on this taskforce. But why are there green dots placed beside each name?"

"This is the full list of active officers registered in this taskforce that has been tested. The green dot represents the members that came out clean, while the red represents the shifters," Frank explained.

William stole a quick glance at the list, a line between his brows. "But I see no name here attached to a red dot."

"Exactly my point, sir. Every official and officer working in this taskforce came out clean."

William looked over the file, feeling sceptical about its credibility.

"I ran a double check on everyone just to be sure. I can assure you, sir, there are no shifters on the task force."

William was silent for a moment, a series of thoughts running through his head. "I was thinking, what if we recreated another shifter just like Mrs Eulich, only a better and stronger version? So it could be able to defend itself even though it is being attacked."

The room was left in sheer silence.

"Sir, what you're suggesting is reckless and very dangerous. I told you already, the chances of succeeding at an experiment such as this is pretty low. We'll be risking the life of whoever agrees to volunteer for this experiment."

"I don't care how you do it. I just want it done. Do you know how much could've been accomplished if Eulich was still alive? Thousands of shifters live in this city unnoticed, and it's only a matter of time before they ravage our fine city."

After a thoughtful silence, Frank said, "The experiment will be started right away, sir."

"And one more thing, Mr Mottek," he added. "I want this to be between us. No one else can know about it, not even the mayor of this city, or the president of this taskforce. I believe you know why I'm doing this?"

"I understand, sir."

"Can I count on your discretion?"

"You have my word, sir."

###

Natasha sat on the corner of the bed, her attention fixed on the book she was reading. The room hummed with teenage life. As much as she hated staying with Landry, she'd grown quite fond of the peaceful environment away from her dad. No one was around to dictate her every action and bark orders at her the way her dad did.

A knock sounded on the door, disturbing the silence she'd been enjoying. Natasha watched from the corner of her eyes as the door slowly opened and a familiar figure walked in. She didn't bother to look up, since only Landry entered the room.

"What do you want?" she muttered, without a glance at her guest, eyes still fixed on the book she was reading.

"I'm here to take you home," a voice she didn't expect answered.

Raising her head at her unexpected visitor, her entire face lit with joy. "Kevin!" she exclaimed.

She placed a pen between the pages and dropped the book on a table beside the bed, racing across the room to meet him. Reaching him, she jumped into his arms, squeezing him in a tight hug.

Kevin stood awkwardly with his hands by his side as he watched her hug him with so much excitement. He wasn't sure how to react or what to say in response. Then the door slid open, and Landry entered. He was shocked to see them in each other's arm.

Her glare found him. "Kevin, don't leave me alone with him. I can't stand being in the same room with him," she snarled. "Take me to see my dad, please. I need to see him."

Kevin nodded at him, a silent signal to leave.

He took the hint and opened the door to leave. "I'll be outside if you need anything," he said and disappeared through the door.

"Get your things," Kevin said after he was gone. "We're leaving. I'm sure your dad would be happy to see you."

She let out a cheerful smile. "About time."

She walked to the table where she'd dropped the book she'd been reading, but Kevin held her hand and yanked her into his arms. "—but first, there is something I'd like you to have."

Natasha—surprised, kept her arms together and pressed to his chest. "What is it?" she asked, looking over at him.

He took a hand in his pocket and reached for something. She didn't know what to expect. Then he took out a phone and a wristwatch from his pocket. "I guess this belongs to you."

Gasping, Natasha blinked in surprise, her eyes widening as she watched him strap the watch to her wrist. "How did you—"

"I took it back from the men that attacked you." He smiled.

"You took it from them?" She laughed at the bluff.

"Yes. Literally."

"I don't know how you did it, but—" She hugged him again. "Thank you."

He hesitated for a moment, before finally wrapping her in his arms. "Your friends mentioned how important this is to you."

"My mum gave this to me before she left," she said, smiling at the watch that'd been strapped to her wrist. She could hardly conceal her excitement. "This watch is all I have to remember her by."

"Before she left?" He raised an eyebrow at her. "Is she—?"

"No, no—" She laughed it off. "My mum is very much alive. She's in a military camp, undergoing training. It's been a while since I last saw her though, but her training will be over soon, and I'll see her again." She couldn't stop staring at the watch and smiling. "Right now, this watch is all I have to remember her by—until she gets home."

He smiled at her. "She sounds like a lovable person, your mother. I'd very much like to meet her someday."

For a moment, Natasha looked up at his face and gave him a warm smile. "I'm sure you'll love her when you get to know her."

"I'm sure I will." He placed his hands on her face, caressing her cheek. His smile slipped as he leaned forward and closed his eyes.

Her smiles faded as she braced herself for impact. He pressed his lips on hers and became lost in the sweet ecstasy of love. Natasha tried to resist, but her body wasn't hers to command anymore. She remained rooted to the ground—paralyzed, and was unable to move away from him. She felt consumed by an overwhelming desire, one she'd never felt before.

For a moment, they seized each other's lips in a prolonged kiss. Kevin felt the rush of adrenaline coursing through his veins as he crushed her lips with his. He ran his hands over her hair down every inch of her perfect form. A burning on his cheek disrupted the pleasure.

With reddened cheek, he turned to look at her, his confused eyes asking the question, 'why?'

She slapped him again. "Don't do that to me again." She lifted a finger to wipe her lips, then glared at him. "Ever."

Taking her book from the table, she walked past him, opened the door and left the room.