CHAPTER ELEVEN: A KIND GESTURE

Landry drove into the park with Kevin sitting at his side, and pulled over by the sidewalks lined by long afternoon shadows. Kevin wound down the window and squinted out into the park, his wondering gaze searching for Mirabel—or her mother.

"Do you see them anywhere?" he asked, looking around the park for any sign of them.

"There they are." Landry found them sitting alone on an old beat-up wooden bench at the far end of the park.

Mirabel lay in her mother's arms, fast asleep. The single mother sat under a towering oak which shielded them from the scourging sun. She looked pale and sadder than before, making Kevin wonder what might have caused this.

Climbing out of the car, Kevin took out a large bag filled to its capacity from the back seat. It felt really heavy, and some of its contents were peeking out. "I'd be right back," he said, and walked into the park.

"Good day, ma," he greeted her when he got to where she sat, but she seemed lost in deep thought that she didn't see him standing there.

"I'm sure you recognize me," he said—this time louder, hoping to draw her attention.

She immediately drifted from her thoughts. Bright rays from the sun pierced her eyelids as she looked up at him. She squeezed her face as if in a painful struggle to recognize him.

Kevin didn't see any trace of recognition on her features. Then his lips peeled back in a half-smile as he helped her remember. "I'm the one who'd given the money to your daughter yesterday."

"It was you?" Her face lit with recognition, and a faint smile appeared on her lips. "Thank you so much." She spoke in her native accent. "We would have both died from starvation if my daughter hadn't stumbled upon you yesterday. I'm really grateful for your help."

Kevin's eyes were drawn to the little girl who was fast asleep in her arms. His smile slipped and his expression turned pensive. "Is she alright?"

Her troubled gaze met his. "After the money you gave Mirabel got exhausted, we've been starving, and ever since then Mirabel has been doing the little she could to get us a meal, but her efforts have yielded nothing. No one will listen to her. These people care nothing about us." It became clear in her voice that she was on the verge of tears. "And when the hunger became so intense, she cried herself to sleep."

Kevin felt a prickle in the pit of his belly as he listened. He bent for a closer look. "Can I?" he stretched his hands to take Mirabel from her.

She let go of her, and Kevin took her up in his arms. She was still fast asleep. "Is your apartment around?" he asked.

"It's over there." She pointed to a manor a few clicks from where they stood.

"Alright then, let's go over to your house." He carried Mirabel carefully in his arms, struggling with the bag which he hauled behind.

"Wait, please, let me help you with the bag," she insisted.

"Actually, the bag and everything in it is for you and your daughter," Kevin declared, handing the bag to her. "I got those groceries from the market today, should be enough to take care of your feeding needs for at least a week until my next visit."

Awe transformed her face. Her mouth fell open as she glanced into the bag full of fruits, palatable food, and some kitchen utensils. It left her speechless.

"Thank you very much," she extolled, tears rolling down her eyes. "You've just saved my life and that of my daughter. I will forever be indebted to you for this."

She almost got on her knees, but he rebuked her, saying, "Oh, c'mon, no need for that. Please wipe those tears off. It breaks my heart to see you like this."