Chapter 8

For the first time Arela was shocked into silence. She hadn't expected anyone to be waiting for her, especially not in her bedroom, and of all people it was Cynric, the only thief she had ever developed feelings for.

His sky blue eyes glidedover Arela, washing over her bodyand admiring her in the Nightingale armour. He had always told Arela the armour was only toocomplementing for her figure. Comments like that had always made her blush fiercely, andArela had never let other thieves discourage her, but Cynric and the vampires at Castle Volkihar were another matter.

Arela wasn't sure what his intentions were, there was no reason whyCynric should have been in Solitude. Most thieves in the Guild would have just headed backto Riften already, not wishing to speak tothe Guild Master. Mercer's style of leadership had still scared manymembers into avoiding her.

"What are you doing here?" Arela asked she had been so spun in her own thoughts and forget that Cynric had actually spoken toher.

"I was just passing through Solitude, and thought I might checkto see if you were home." Cynric shrugged, but Arela could see he was slightly flustered.

"Does that explain whyyou needto sleep in my room? I have a spare bedroom." Arela stifled a smile; she was going tomake this slightly miserable for him.

"Eh... I was looking at the lovelydecor, and then sat down to admire it and fell asleep..." Cynric was shifting his weight back and forth; he was acting like a skittish fool and it was amusing to Arela.

"Oh that's bull. Tell me the truth Cynric." Arela stated bluntly, crossing her armored arms.

He focused on his hands for a second, refusing to look at Arela. She was enjoying watching him submit to her questions. He was always too composed toexpose his real feelings, so he averted eye contact.

Finally his steely blue eyes became fixated on Arela's; she could see braveryglow in his eyes.

"Well, you haven't shown your face around the Guild in months, and I wantedto apologize for the things I said before you left to join the Dawnguard."

Arela was amazed at his declaration; she never thought that Cynric was even a person to apologize. He often said crude things, but he never confessed to any wrongdoings; this definitely felt like a breakthrough to Arela.

"Are youapologizing?" Arela failed to mask the shockin her voice.

"Well you can refer it as that, but I prefer tocall it; 'Enforcing mutual harmony'." He shot back, giving Arela a drysmirk. It was odd to see his smile again; she was too use toseeing a scowl on his face.

A quiet chuckle escaped fromArela's mouth, "That is the Cynric I remember."

"Now, what are you doing here, backin Solitude Arela? You've been avoiding the Guild for months now like we're some disease. Are youafraid to get caught upin the Guild again?" He paused; she couldsee he was mulling his next few words over in his head.

"Because we miss you, Brynjolf is doing a great job, but there is nothing like having the real Guild Master around." Cynric said with melancholylaced in his words.

Arela felt like someone had punched the wind right out of her; there was nothing left Arela could say. But Cynric continued on his persuasive rant.

"Nothinghas been the same since you left... Thrynn is not quite as entertaining as you were. Nurin isn't great archerycompetition, he always wins, and at least you and I were more evenly matched."

Arela felt as if her brain was paralyzed, his statement was sofull of emotion and nostalgia it caused Arela to be submerged in guilt; she wasn't there for him. Was his words just meant in a friendlygesture? SlowlyArela fumbled through words, until she was able to pull out enough to make a sentence.