The First Time I Kinda Believed

Just as we have gathered our bearings and are about to set off again, we hear panting and twigs snapping. All three of us look to the direction of the noise, only to relax when we see Chloe and Jackson.
"Hey." Jackson pants as the two of them stop in front of us.
"What are you doing here?" Abraham asks.
"We're looking for you guys." He replies.
"An inmate escaped from the prison." Chloe explains. "We think he might be in these woods."
Mitch, Abraham and I glance at each other.
"Yeah, we saw him just now." I comment.
"Which way did he go?" Jackson asks me.
"No, no. It's too dangerous. I'll notify Deputy Kraft." Chloe breathes.
"W-what are you talking about?" Jackson stammers. "He's connected to this, and he couldn't have gotten far."
"Let Deputy Kraft do his job. When they capture him, I'll arrange for an interview."
"Oh, and if he says no?" Jackson argues with Chloe.
"While you two work this out, we still need a wolf to examine." Mitch interrupts.
Jackson sighs. "We saw one a couple hundred yards back. It's just been shot."
"Let's go." I mumble, heading in the direction Jackson pointed.

Jackson, Abraham, Mitch, and I transport the injured wolf to the hotel, while Chloe heads to the store to get some supplies. However, carrying an eighty-pound wolf through a hotel full of people is no easy task. Luckily for us, I am used to smuggling animals to where they aren't supposed to be. The four of us are sat in the SUV as I tell them my plan.
"So, Abraham and Mitch will carry the wolf up the stairs. The elevator has a glass panel that could easily allow us to be spotted. It's gonna be hard work, but we are only on the second floor." I smile, turning to Jackson. "You and I have the fun job."

The four of us split into our groups and head towards the lobby door. Mitch and Abraham remain in the car, ready to jump out with the wolf at a moment's notice. Jackson and I stroll into the lobby and I prepare myself for the big distraction.
"How dare you!" I scream at him as I walk away from the door.
Everyone turns to face us, and the room goes silent.
"Elle, come on. I said I'm sorry." Jackson plays along.
"Sorry? Is that all you can say? How do I know that I can trust you?" I force tears out of my eyes as I stop in the lobby.
Jackson sighs and rushes over to me.
"Because I love you." He mutters, but loud enough for everyone in the room to hear.
He steps back and takes a deep breath before dropping to one knee. The whole room seems to hold its breath as he pulls out a small box and opens it. I cover my mouth with my hands in pretend shock.
"Eleonora, will you do me the honour of becoming my wife?" He asks, looking into my eyes.
More tears are forced from my eyes as I nod.
"Yes."
The whole room explodes with applause and I hug Jackson, glancing over his shoulder as Mitch and Abraham sneak up the stairs. Jackson pulls away, cupping my face in his hands and pulling me in for a kiss. Ok, this wasn't part of the plan. His lips brush mine. Not innocently, like a tease but hot, fiery, passionate and demanding. I smile, my heart fluttering at his action as I clasp my hands-on wither side of his face and I lean in for another one.
We seem to lose our selves in the moment. The whole world disappears and for a second, I forget that we are acting, that Jackson doesn't have feelings for me and will never kiss me like this again. He pulls away slowly and my eyes flutter open.
"I think we need to go check up on the others." He whispers, a small smirk on his face.
I nod, attempting to regain my posture.
"Let's go." I croak.